any pics of livewells?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nevets91, Dec 6, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    im trying to come up with a quick fix for saturday for a livewell. i just need something that will work well enough. i will be building something a little nicer after christmas hopefully. but can i see some pics of what you guys have so i can see if i can come up with a few ideas

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont have any pics, but if your looking for a quick fix, get a cooler and a portable aireator that will run off of a boat battery and throw it in the cooler. the bait shop near me sells them that float or sit on the bottom and circulates the water in the tank for around $20-30. if i find a link to one like im talking about ill send it.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Here is what i'm going to use along with a airator from wal mart that uses D batterys. If i catch one to big for the 150qt cooler i will fill the boat half way up with water and use Seth (waving the paddle back and forth creating ox)

Having a deep boat has its advantages, also a young partner that goes along with anything you want to do. So if you see my boat riding low in the water, i probably got a Big Fish:big_smile:jk

A big cooler works fine as long as you got some kind of air going in. With only 2 fish just about anything that holds water will be good.
    If you don't have a big cooler i can try to round you up one, i will just need it back:big_smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sams Club has those 150 qt. Igloo coolers there now for 65 bucks. Bought two new ones last week. They also make good deadwells.......load em up , ice em down.

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thank i have a 94 quart cooler but it seems a little short i think any fish over 20 pounds would be cramped. i have a plastic tub that is prob around 50 gallons but im not sure if it could hold up to a big fish if it goes to thrashin around. i have an airator i can use for whatever i use. if they have those coolers at sams after christmas i will have to find someone with a membership to get me that and ill use one of those for next year. do yall think one of those rubbermaid storage tubs will hold up for the weekend though? they are hard so im just worried about one of them big boys stickers bustin a hole in the side

7. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
  8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I use a 150 quart cooler with and aerator/ spraybar inside, and I use a bildge pump and 1/2" hose to pump fresh water in(also has a shut off valve inline to slow the flow). I then have a 1" hose as an overflow and that drains out the skupper at the back of the boat. While drifting or anchored fresh water is pumped in.

Some use a stringer (1 fish per stringer)and put them in a tub of water to transport. Get some of the nylon rope ones from Walmart, tie a loop at the end with the ring(dont rely on the ring to hold a big fish. You might pull it up and not have a fish on the end.

See you Saturday

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    As for the large rubbermade container, if it is one of the rubber ones i would try it with out hesitation. if it is one of the hard plastic ones i would goto walmart and pick the other kind up for around $10 or so just to be safe. the stringer idea combined with the rubber made container is my favorite idea i have seen on here. seems like the fish would have plenty of O2 that way.

10. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    The Plastic Truck Bed Toolboxes work great most have seals on the lid to keep water out and lock as well so could serve as a storage locker on your boat when not being used. And with a little creativity can be easily converted to livewell, also you can shop around and find them for about what you all say those big coolers are going for except the tool box will be much bigger than the cooler thus being able to safely hold a few nice fish or one heck of a Monster Hawg Daddy :wink:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would tip Bowlerman $5 and you can put your fish in his pool....I mean livewell!!

:smile2:

12. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    Iwould be careful with the jaw rope remedy. especially if you catch the fish early. also drifting it gets kinda tricky.:wink:

13. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i'll try to post some pics wednesday of mine , dieter why you call it a pool it only holds 130 gallons and has jets and a bubbler i think that makes it a jacuzzi :big_smile::crazy: one thing to think about is and this is hard to believe but you can put 7.48 gallons of water in a 1 sq ft box so it don't take a lot of room to hold alot of water.:big_smile:

14. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Yea Bowler, tell me were you going to be and every time i catch a big fish i'll come over and put it in your tank:smile2:jk

A tank as big as Bowler will probably sink most boats.