Any pheasant recipes to share?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by DLB-in-GR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    My father's annual pheasant hunting trip to South Dakota a while back was a great success, he returned with a bunch of birds and gave me some, sealed and frozen in vacuum packed bags. Tonight I made a recipe that sounds a bit weird, I got it from a book, and it was one of the very best and easiest recipes I have ever done with pheasant. The meat was moist and tender, rare for pheasant which is usually a little tough and dry when skinned out the way they clean them.

Anyone with any more favorite pheasant recipes for me to try? Feel free to share them!

Basque Pheasant

~ 2 pheasants, cut into serving pieces
    ~ 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    ~ 3/4 cup dry white wine, use good wine (I used a demi-sec)
    ~ 1/2 olive oil
    ~ 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    ~ 1 cup pitted medium prunes
    ~ 1 cup pitted medium Spanish green olives
    ~ 1/4 cup capers with juice
    ~ 3 cloves garlic, minced
    ~ 2 bay leaves
    ~ 2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
    ~ 2 tbsp dried basil

Arrange the pheasant in a single layer in a 9" x 13" baking dish.

In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, wine, oil and vinegar. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Pour over the pheasant pieces, cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. Turn the meat several times.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until the meat is tender, turning the pheasant once.

Transfer pheasant to a serving plate, spoon olives and (some) prunes over the top. The "sauce" makes a great au-jus for the breasts.

Just go light on eating the prunes. They add a lot of flavor to the marinade but can have a bad effect if you eat very many.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds good Doug.

Heres one I have tried once and liked. Crocked pheasant.

1 pheasant cut up
    1 clove carlic diced fine
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of potato soup
    salt and pepper to taste
    Just a dab of rosemary

brown bird pieces in oil ,saute garlic after removing pheasant. Add all ingrediants to crok pot,cook 6-8 hrs on low,I never had to add water,But you might wish to. I find that the pheasants juices will be enough to blend with the soup to make an awsome gravy.

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You should of taken some pics of them babys after you cooked them :confused2: Don't forget next time please..:smile2:

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    That's a good idea, I sure will include a pic of the plated dish when I post a recipe. Here is a pic of the guys out in S.D. with some birds, the man 2nd from the left is my father.

Attached Files:

5. festus

festus New Member

....because we don't have any here. Do they taste similar to any other bird you can compare them to?

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    My father is an upland bird hunter, usually taking a couple of trips per year near to Iron Mountain (in the Michigan U.P., near Wisconsin) and to bird hunts in the Lower Peninsula, so he brings back a lot of different birds for me to try. I guess we used to have huntable numbers of pheasants in Michigan back about 50 years ago, now they are here but rarer to find. They are like any poultry, I suppose, I don't want to say they taste like chicken though, they really do not, they have a more assertive flavor. A little bit gamey, the wild ones (compared to the farm raised ones he and his friends buy to let loose for running their dogs), but not nearly as gamey as squab or partridge, and they don't have a liver-ish flavor like woodcock. The legs and thighs are dark but meaty with a lot of tendons to eat around, and the breast is much darker than chicken or turkey and tends to dry out if overcooked, like really dry turkey breast in that respect. It really is my favorite of the birds he brings home, because of the size and the flavor. Second is chukar partridge, which can be substituted in recipes that call for quail. All of these birds taste a bit different to me, unique in their own ways, so its hard to compare them to any other particular bird. Definately don't taste like chicken or turkey though.

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One recipe that I had awhile ago was cooked a lot like how I like to cook my morrels. Crush a bunch of Club Crackers in a bag and add your favorite seasoning, I like Lawarys, garlic powder, onion powder. Clean and pat dry the bird, than coat in beaten eggs, than roll in the crushed crackers and fry them up, we used an electric skillet, then enjoy! :wink:

I say its been awhile because I haven't been seeing the birds here in eastern Iowa like I used too, its been 2 years since I shot one.:embarassed:

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    My mom takes the breasts and rolls em in beaten eggs, then rolls em in soda crackers and either flour or bread crumbs. She frys em up, the rest is cooked the same way I think, I've had pheasant cooked differently, but there aint' nothin that compares to the way she does it. The other recipe is interesting tho.