Any paddle fish @ Kaw tailwaters?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by NRA_Guns_Winner, Apr 4, 2009.

1. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    I'm thinking about going snagging their tomorrow, and planning to camp their in a week. Just hoping someone had good news on the activity below the damn. Thanks Jarrod

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I personally witnessed an approximate 60 pounder caught there two or three years ago. Wether it was an accident as far as a spoonbill making it to the tailwaters or not, I have no idea. If it was an accident, and it happened once, it may happen again. LOL

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    son caught a 65# at kaw tailwaters last year, and going on wednesday.
    If none there we will drive over to gibson, makes for a long day but it can be done

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I havent heard any reports form below Kaw this year, but it's IMO the best area to snag bigger spoonbill. The numbers are not always there but size wise there's lots of big one's. My personal best of 83 pounds came from there a couple years ago. The state record is from the dam and I've seen quite a few in the 90 to low 100 pound range caught there the last few years. Watch the release levels from Kaw and after a couple good weeks of steady release they should make it up there.

5. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Well what side is more popular below Kaw. I've snagged a few from each side at Ft. Gibson?

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I went out to Kaw a few weeks ago.. I couldnt snag any.. but I saw one snagged from the boat ramp that was about 30lbs and then I saw another one snagged further down the river that was a lil over 45 lbs.. The day I went they were not generating any water

7. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught a 17 lbs spoonbill last wednesday night and about a month ago, my friend caught a 35 lbs and I caught a 59 lbs spoonbill.. Also last year I've snagged a between 70 to 80 lbs but it broke my lines about a foot away from the bank.... I am looking forward to go there sometime this week after my work!

8. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    there are alot of big spoonbill below kaw i snag down there alot my pb down there is 87lbs. i went two days ago and we snagged 7 the biggest was 57

9. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Well looks like I'm going this weekend. A 100 mile drive! I've got to watch the gates and water let out this week so I have an idea of the time of day to be snagging. Well thanks for everything.

10. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    going in the morning....Will report back with results

11. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey jeff what time are u going i will be there about 9 am. I will be in a new tracker boat.

12. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Delayed till after 4pm..friend that was going had a seizure this morning and is in the hospital,,He has been sick for awhile and has lived 6 months past where they said he would...

Just want to take him spoon snaggin'
    Will be mowing grandma's grass today and stocking her pantry,
    And checking on my buddy.
    So my son and i will be there this evening, when he gets out of school

13. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Well unless we get rain I think I'm going to change my weekend plans. I talked to my wife and we think were heading to Miami to limit out, then heading to Chetopa, Ks to limit out. May make for a little more driving than to just go to Kaw, but my cooler would most likely have no room for ice. Hows that sound to everyone.

14. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sounds great,, cause kaw will leave the chest empty, just got back and they are not there ...saw 1 small 15lb caught ...No small fish either like sandies saw 2 caught 15 people fishin and 3 fish came out of the water

about 6 people snaggin, and just 1 dink

i was there from 5 pm till dark...cant report on the morning fishin'

15. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Thanks. Better luck next time.

16. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i went to kaw from about 9am to 1 there were three of us in my boat and we went down river a bit and snagged to 43lb and 30lb not a lot of action

17. larry c

larry c New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On Wednesday i went to Joplin and on the way up there i stop off at Miami to check on the spoonbill fishing only two guys fishing they said the spoonbill are not runing for the last 3 days so i went to Locust Grove at the low water dam only saw the one spoonbill. There was about 4 boat below the low water dam on spoonbill .

18. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    I made it to Miami over the easter weekend. Friday night I caught two. Maybe 15 people snagging and only seeing 5 caught per hour. Sat was worse. Water level was going down.