Any PA deer hunters in the house??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SEANEGNATZ0789, Jul 10, 2008.

1. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    What are your favorite scents to use and what is your favorite equiptment to have when you are on your hunt??

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sean you better buy your license it`s almost time to send for doe tags, before you know it we`ll be back in the trees.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I read in the hunting digest that we can archery hunt right up to the rifle season this year, doe only.

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive used Code Blue before. There is a guy local to me that works for Kitchner and gets me some good stuff when he has it but I didnt get any year. That stuff works pretty darn good. There is a new guy who has a product out called the "Deceiver" around here and he has some darn good bucks taken with it in the last couple years. He claims he had 14 different legal bucks come in to this thing last year. My buddy knows him and he gave me a DVD on this thing and a couple weeks ago I saw some pics in the Wal-mart in kittanning of bucks taken with it, some real dandies. Basically you take a bottle of whatever scent you want to use and put it inside this thing and it heats up and gives off vapor but it doesnt evaporate so your scent/attractant works longer. I was thinking about trying it but who knows. I usually keep at least 1 tarsel gland frozen until archery season from the year before, especially if someone gets a doe close to peak time.

Fred Bear Whitetail Pinnicle II bow
    Carbon Express arrows
    Copper John sight
    Trophy Ridge rest

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use Bob Kirschners " Trail Maker " , it seems to work pretty well at bringing deer past your stand where a scent trail was laid.

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The best stuff I have ever used is James Valley Scents It works.

I dont have any interest in it other let you guys know I have bought it every year for the last say like 15 years, It works!

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the info Brian.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The best attractant in Pa. is diesel and exhaust fumes! Every time I go to see my family in Brodheadsville, the highway is littered with dead deer. Looks like the best place to hunt up there is the median of I80. LOL :wink::smile2:

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Dang, and all this time ive been walking 50 yards from my truck before takin my clothes out theyre scent proof container, when I really needed to be standin next to my tip:smile2:

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey zebo, next time I see him I'll try and get you a bottle of it (o and thanks for the spelling). I should see him in September at the gun bash.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There was a six point buck hit by a car last week across the street from Allegheny County Jail in Pittsburgh. If deer can survive downtown , you can find them anywhere.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    For scents, I prefer code blue or any other "single deer" in a bottle pees. I dont use cover scents but am very mindful of the wind. I use a scentlok suite. While I dont believe it removes our scent 100%, I do feel it reduces it significantly. I've had doe walk downwind of me at 10 feet (I harvested her last year) and fox at 20 feet downwind and at most got a pause and a double check before continuing to my shooting lane.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I don't use alot of scents. I use fresh earth cover scent (spray and discs). My buddy likes to use Tink's, and seems to do pretty good.

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
  15. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was in the woods for a little look around and shot a few arrows ,I`m ready for the season to start but it needs to cool down.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I just found this thread and add me to the list of Pa. deer hunters. I too like Kirchners scents. His book on archery hunting is a good read. I need to break out the bow and start practicing, season is only a month away!

17. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I hunt in Bucks and Montgomery counties where it is a shot gun reg. area. I walk farther to my Flathead holes than I do my treestand:tounge_out:. I use a Browning splitlimb bow with carbon arrows and 100 grain scorpion mechanical broadheads or an Excaliber Phenix crossbow during archery and I have a Rem. 870 Express Ultra-Mag with camo pattern synthetic packedge and I sling 3 1/2" XX buckshot with it:crazy:. When I go up to the mountins I have a Win. model 94 30-30 (I like to use when I still hunt), and a 30-30 bolt action with a 3 to 9 power scope I like to use out of my treestand. I am thinking about getting a 20 gauge with a riffeld barrel and a scope. I could drop deer from 150 yards no problem and when my kids get older it would be a good gun for them to start with.

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Was on my way to work tonight and saw a dandy buck on one of the farms I archery hunt. Cant wait but it really needs to cool down. Nothin worse than sittin in a tree with sweat pourin off ya and the mosquitos flyin in your ear when you know darn well the deer arent movin till after dark in the heat.

19. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ll be buying a couple doe tags for 2B this week ,I need a deer bad. My wife just informed me that the venison is almost gone.

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My brother in law got a doe Saturday now it`s my turn. Have any of you guys been out at all yet ???