any other ice fishermen?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by stinkbaitman, Dec 22, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    anyone else on here ice fish? i love ice fishin, but come to think of it i also cant get enough open water fishin, trappin, hunting, shooting, four wheelin,skiin and about anything else outdoors.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    yeah we be a little crazy too. We are actually having an ice catfish tournament in Ohio as soon as we get safe ice.

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    haha normally we dont have to worry about bein crazy around here, by the end of december the ice is thick enough to drive on. just got to watch out for springs and thin spots thoug. so i guess were all a littl crazy.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Out here in California.... Infisherman Mag. says that we have some 30,000 ice fishermen.... "they are lying"..... We might have "ice in our drinks", but down here in the south part of California..... it doesn't happen...

Have a Merry Christmas Cody, Bayrunner Ray

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL Ray, yea may be a bit of a problem down that way...... Love it! last year was terrible for the ice around here, hoping this year is back to the norm, mostly just the gills and crappie for us at the pond but you know :wink: My little girl (8yrs) was mad last season because the ice never did get real good, and Santa brought her the Ice kit she asked him for, LOL, yep sat right on his lap at the store and after he was done with his spill on what you want, she looked up and said "nope Santa just bring me an Ice fishing set of my own" LOL! needless to say he had a :eek:oooh: look about him..lol

That cat tourny sounds like a ball, good luck with it.
    Randy

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to ice fish,then I moved to Tennessee.You know what?I dont miss ice fishing.smokey

7. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
    We have winter and ice 5 months a year so I have no choise.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if we get good ice, i will be out there after them slab crappies!!! yummy! rollo

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well I used to be a diehard Ice fisherman but my recent relocation has pretty much brought that to an end :sad2: I was always the first one on the ice and last one on the ice in the coves till it was plain suicide. Im gonna miss it

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    when I was a boy I used a hammer and some of dads chisels to cut a hole in the ice. then he'd get mad cause sometimes they slipped out of my hand and I'd loose them to davey jones locker. Then I got an auger and we've never had good ice regularly since then. I dont have the auger anymore. I still have my tip ups but good ice doesnt come enough to warrent the expense of a new auger.

11. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Living in northern North Dakota we tend to get a lot of ice and if we want to fish that is how it will be done. I find ice fishing to be a welcomed change simply because it is a different method of catching fish and forces us to try different things or different places which in the long run makes us better fishermen. Up here in the north more people ice fish now than summer fish and that is mostly due to good shacks and cold weather gear of this day and age.

To be honest by the time March rolls around I will be itching to get back in the boat for another summer but for now it will have to be the hard water or nothing. I think ice fishing forces me to appreciate spring and summer much more than I would it I had open water all year.

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, growing up in Iowa we used to ice fish all the time. Whether we came prepared with the tent, or it was "spur of the moment" and we were looking down at the cold underwater world off a cold plastic bucket, we always enjoyed the season that took us from our summer/autumn pattern, to hunting, and filled in the gap before the spring runs of walleye, pike, and catfish came around again.

It does take a dedicated fisherman to ice fish though, seriously at least. You can tell these individuals because they have stories about "snotcicles", the "ice highway" where everyone drives out onto the lake, and of course, how many times they've been burned on a propane heater! And myself can through in tails of being blown over at least once, and watching my holes slide under the tent a couple of times.

But something is just different about ice fishing, and I miss it since moving to N.C. Not that we don't have a year-round fishery down here, but it's not the same. I've even gone home during the winter at times just so I can get in some "icetime". Of course, maybe I'm just crazy too! lol

13. fishin addict

fishin addict New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rather ice fish than anything. Not quite ready here in central Indiana. Some years it just does't last very long.

14. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    welcome to the boc dave this site has every thing and if you need to know how to catch somethin you cme to right place.

15. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    here in utah we have no shortage of fishable ice . the toughest part for me lately is where i'm going and what i'm going to fish for.. this year i plan on crossing out names of waters and fish species.... making it a little more of an adventure... not that i dont like going to the tried and true honey holes, but just trying to spice up the cold season a littlle more. i dont think i'll be fishing all of them before ice off but i have a 14' boat to run the edges of the ice. by the way, any of you experienced in catching channels through the ice please feel free to give me ANY tips.... the fish gods will smile on you...