Any other beekeepers ?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by yotepeeler, Mar 10, 2007.

1. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am trying to keep bees but had a serious winter die out that is different then most . All had a good supply of honey in with them . I am thinking the new CCD stuff . Any others loosing bees too ?

Yotepeeler

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My Father kept bees. He had a lot of knowledge about them and loved the honey. I used to sell it all for him years ago. All the hives were given away, prior to him passing away. On the day he died, a swarm landed in the Chestnut tree, he planted. Within a couple of hours, we had a man down from the mountain to pick them up. Dad always said he wanted to be buried beside a chestnut stump, so I found it ironic that the bees landed in the chestnut tree. He would have loved it. At that moment, I knew my Father had entered Heaven. I took it as a sign from above.

What is CCD? It's been about 18 years since I was around any hives.

Welcome to the BOC/SOC. Read, post, listen, learn, contribute, but most of all ENJOY!

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Thanks for the great memories of my Dad keeping his bees. I hadn't thought about it in a few months.

3. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    CCD is a new disease or something they don't know what is causing it . The filed bees leave and don't make it back . It is called collapsing colony disorder now . it is nation wide and already effecting pollination of oranges and almonds .

Funny how most have no idea that over 1/3 of everything we eat is dependant upon them . Bet that will change if they don't get a handle on it soon .

I was lucky and have a friend that helped me along on this new hobby of mine . He is 87 now and still able to live on his own . He too loves the bees he made his living working them .

Drifter

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    There was a couple years back when they were almost extinct. Hardly saw one all summer. I've already saw a couple out around my crocuses.

Good luck on your hives. You may want to research the disease on the web, and get a few different opinions of what is going on. I'll have my Mom ask my brother next time he comes to see her, if he knows anything about it. He still has a few of Dad's hives. Mom is 87 and still lives alone, too. She misses Dad but has adjusted over the last 15 years.

Take care.
    Cheryl

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I'm not a bee keeper but when in high school I did read a few books on bee keeping and when I eventually move into the country, i'd like to have a colony of my own some day. I hope they figure out the ccd problem soon. keep the honey flowing!

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I heard about keepers looseing hives

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I kept bees for years, in the past I never had any problems, now you can't
    keep them from the mites. I had to give it up when we found that my
    daughter in law has a serious allergy, we were worried about the grandchildren maybe being allergic as well. My advice is keep your hives medicated, have them inspected by the bee inspector and follow his advice.

8. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use to keep them also. Mites got me also. I loved keeping them though. Now Lubbock county is under the quarantine so nothing in or out.
    I dont know how the wild hives did this winter. It was a harder winter than we generally have. Might have killed some of the brazilian african strain but I bet it did'nt do much damage to them. We need a really hard winter to hurt them.
    I raised Midnights, You?

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had bees and was an inspector for Ohio a few years ago. We struggled with mites and eventually lost all my bees. I had 10 hives. I've been hearing about this new thing and everyone is worried that it will kill off all the bees. I think they are pretty resilient and can adapt or a resistant strain of bees will be found. It's just another hurdle for beekeepers.

As for your friend, the man I got my first hive from was 95 years old and lived to 105. He said it was from bee stings and not eating salt. I haven't used a salt shaker for 25 years. I still catch bees and put them on my elbows for arthiritis.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I haven't had a hive in 30 years cause the mites killed all my bees but I am think about getting back into it again.

Jerry my great granddaddy kept bees and he lived to be 97.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never had any bees but helped my wife's granddad rob his.

There is an interesting article in the REA magazine (Rural Arkansas) I got a couple days ago about a farmer and bee keeper. They started out small but now sell 50 barrels of honey a year. Another interesting thing, they also have a self serve roadside stand with this sign.."Take Honey - Leave money". And they say the "honesty barometer" rarely disappoints them. I thought that was neat for now days.:smile2:

12. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My friend also had a roadside stand at his house that he left a money jar at . He had melons and honey both in season for sale with a price chart . I know some folks drove 90 miles to his stand for honey and always bought a few melons as well .

Drifter