Any opinions on Tru Turn hooks ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always used Eagle Claw 84 bait holder hooks with offset in 3/0. They work well but I need to move up to a 4/0 or 5/0 to get better hook sets when using 6" chubs and gills as bait. Couldn't find any Eagle Claw in that size locally ; but I did find Tru Turn 4/0 "catfish hooks". Upon inspection I found them to be much sharper than the Claw's ,which have a curved point opposed to Tru Tuns straight point. So are they really any better than any other "J" style hook ? They look alittle thicker and longer than other hooks, does that matter, as will the fish see or feel it, along with there matte grey finish ? Any comments good or bad ? -Thanks

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Tru-turn hooks are way to thin to use for the fish I am after! I like a thick shanked hook for strength!
    I use 7/0 Khales to 10/0 King Khales and have never had a problem with them.

3. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    those 4/0 cat fish tru turn hooks are made thicker then the regular tru turn hooks..they should be plenty thick enough..if you straighten one of those hooks out on something you,ve hooked into the side of someones boat!

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    JW this is one of those times i beg to differ:big_smile: the big tru turns catfish hooks around the 7/0 range are pretty thick. i tried straightening one of these with a vice and some pliers and it would be way to hard to straighten on a fish. itd have to be one of those volkswagon flatheads everyone was talkin about on a thread not long ago. but i do have to agree that the king kahles and kahles would be a better choice for bigger fish, just because they are one step down from meat hooks...

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im guessing youre talking about the 4/0 cats at wallmart the will work on cats. the problem ive had with them is the points bend meaning retying or sharpining. i plan on using the ones i got but dont plan on buying any more.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have used them quite a bit in the past and the problem that I had with them was that they get straightend out when I hooked into bigger cats.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I started catching more eaters with em, but they go from J to L hooks, & droopy L's at that with anything of size. I've got a #2 over my bench in the garage stapled to a ticket from a profane place. It was a sad and exciting day. But since then, I've discovered #2 snelled hooks are for catching bait.
    I'm trying some 4/0's now and they seem ta be much stronger, but small for larger baits, even schrimp. I'm with Jayson, think they'd hold.
    I'm also trying some Kahle's 4/0 & 5/0 next. So don't we run the risk of losing anything we toss out? Keep tossing.
    :smile2:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use and like them for channels and small blues and flats. If I was going after some monsters I might try something different. I use 4/0 and 5/0.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Will they work? Yes.

Are there better hooks out there? In my opinion, definitely.

I prefer using eagle claw kahle hooks in the 4/0 - 6/0 range when I'm just bank-beating a local lake, or if I'm anchored and fishing for cats. If I'm drifting or fishing the river, I'm using circle hooks. Preferably either 7/0 or 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circles.

I bought a whole load of the tru-turns and put them on some jugs a couple of months ago. They absolutely will not last worth a flip. I've already replaced nearly all of them with circles. I know you aren't talking about using them on jugs, but I think there are better hooks out there. Just my opinion.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll share my brief experience with them.
    It started with a kind fella I met on a deserted boat ramp at Shearon Harris lake before it became undeserted.
    We were yapping as we prepped our boats for some fishing and he gave me a box of a 100 Truturns 4/0 in size.

Well the bass fishing was slow and I had some cat bait along so since it was toward the middle of the day I had some deep creek intersections I wanted to set up on for some eaters.
    What the heck, I'll use these Truturns.
    As soon as my baits were hitting bottom I was getting bites.
    After about 45 minutes of getting hammered a million times and no fish in the boat I switched over to a 4/0 Gamakatzu plain ol straight shank worm hook.
    Immediately I was boating fish. I had a ball.
    Obviously a catfish and a bass are two different fish and have different mouth structure. My guess is the Truturns were turning in such a way when I set the hook that I wasn't hooking. (Rocket scientist moment).

When I returned to the ramp that evening I struck up a conversation with another fella that was also loading out and battening down the hatches.
    As a friendly gesture I gave him a box of 99 Truturn hooks in the 4/0 variety.
    If those hooks only wind up in a catfisherman's hands I would guess they are still making their rounds at the boat ramp years later and we have a well travelled batch of hooks.:big_smile:

11. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH TRU-TURN 4/0,BUT NOTHING OVER 15 LBS

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got a pic some were of a 45# blue cought on a 4/0 true turn:wink::eek:oooh::cool2:

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ALL of my big cats have been caught on tru turns. I have tied them to jugs, limblines, and trotlines. I have straightened one hook myself by pulling it outta some timber. It took all of my strength to do that. I pulled so hard that it tried to dip the front of my baot under water.
    I do not know where u buy ur tru turns but the batches i have gotten are strong, sharp and hook the fish in the corner of the mouth.