any one on lower illinois, webber ,gore

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by caatstalker, Mar 23, 2006.

1. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    was on it last june , while waiting on our lines to load up down at stoneypoint. my nephew boc member( hotrod98) wanted to hit the lower ill. to catch a few stripers . ( we were baited with perch) but we had a few brood minnowes . so we just rigged up for stripes wth catgear. and my trusty crappie pole wth 10lb. line the river was full of stripper boats wth customers of course, here we are in a 14 ft flat bottem . one of those up all night deals. but happy . just to be fishing . as we eased up the bank . trying to stay out of the commercial guys way, we cought a few blacks , throwing agenst the banks, biggest one 6/7 lbs big for the lower ill, fun fer me i quit bassin in 1979 ( another story) anyhoo. i saw striper working the hydrilla in about 7 ft of water off of a gravel bar. even showed them to a guide . they just looked at us like we just stole the little boat. to shorten the story we sneeked up onem and i hooked it to a fish on my crappie pole, oloard am i in trouble we got 4 lines out ive got a badboy on . 10 lb line an he is leaving the county heaned for the ark. line, well we got the lines in . stopped all the river traffic ,and in about 25 min. we netted a 30 plus striper. while all them bad boy guides watched, was a good day on the river . our lines were fat when we ran them . moral to the story it ant the size of the boat just the quality of bait placement.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL good story I bet that was one heck of a fight you had on your hands. I have never been striper fishin but am goin to have to try it.

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yeah but the most satisfing , was a couple of catters out fishing the local guides in thier home water ( they had no idea that i grew up on that river) they were just making a living we were living a dream keep the fath