Any One Like Jugging for Catfish in Mississippi?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by TonyJr, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That's my favorite catfishing method! Of course we do it redneck style LOL!! If anyone ever wants to go let me know and we'll hit the water. I probably do it different that most:)!! Everyone that's ever been with me will tell you ' You'll have a great time'!

2. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got some jugs ready to use this spring if we get enough water to use the ramps in the lakes around here. What do you do different than most juggers?

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Augila, where do you fish mostly? (What part of the State)

My trick is how I catch the bait.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    We didn't get to do alot jugline fishing last year, someone wouldn't let it rain down here in Tx. So the water levels got to low and they stopped all boats on the lakes around here till just recently.
    I'm looking forward to jugging this year though.:)

5. droptines

droptines New Member

hey tony jr,let me see if i remember your trick on catching the bait.i think you said you neek up on um after dark with a light right.

6. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish mostly Tawakoni and Fork , sometimes the Sabine River. Did real well last spring on all 3. Caught our limit most every time, catfish on Taw. and Fork and Whites on the Sabine. Tried Lake of the Pines a few times but didn't have much luck.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    droptines, your close but there's much much more involved!:):) It funny to watch and do!

8. droptines

droptines New Member

i need help in trying to learn how to get some skipjack for bait.i hear that is the best on the ms around here.

9. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Hey guys. Welcome to the board. The skips usually start running around Greenville around early to mid May, and are, as far as I can tell, are usually somewhere in the area until about September or so. Look for warm water inlets or fish jumping around dikes. Throw white or silver jigs or a sabiki rig.

I used to jug fish a lot, but it got to where I was burning 8 gallons of fuel just rod and reel fishing, so I quit jugging, more or less. Still got some jugs, though. I usually jugged in July or August, but I've got some buddies that have been doing pretty good in May.

Good Luck!

10. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    dudlbugr, do you fish public or private waters up that way?

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I love to jug fish!

Hit the Verdigris Navigational Channel in OK

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I jug fish sometimes at the lake in whiteville do pretty good for the most part. I have some swimming pool noddles I made up insted of jugs like them alot better, they dont take up as much room in the boat and dont get tageled as bad.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I do quite a bit of jugfishing, mostly in the current of the Arkansas River, or in the current in the outlet cove at the nuclear plant. I've tried jugging in lakes a few times, but haven't had much luck.

14. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hate to hear that Jeffery Bunch! Any reason why? I'd rather jug fish than any other type!! Just can't beat it!

15. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Rip, we use white qt. castrol jugs. There easy/cheap to get (oil change places) and don't take up to much room. If we get a 35 or so lb cat on one it'll hold it down for several seconds but it normally will come up. We also jug mostly at night! Nothing like being on the water at night and hearing nature!

16. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Tony,

I fish the Mississippi River 90% of the time, the Sunflower about 9%, and private ponds (for bait or bas...bas...bas...bait) about 1%. There is a discussion going on the MDWFP about whether oxbows are public or private, but I'm putting in at public ramps, so I'm not too worried! ;)

You fishing mainly on the rez?

17. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What's your user name on the MDWFP site?

I fish anywhere I get a chance, but mostly the Rez.

18. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Tony,

I'm dudlbugr over there as well. Mostly reply on topics involving catfishing; a few on hunting and anything on trespassing. I think Dennis does a good job running the site. We'll have to get together for a fishing trip this spring or summer!

19. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Sounds like a plan to me! I'm serious about that too!!

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I too used to love to jug! Listening to one of the jugs get struck hard is hard to beat. After a few of the guys on here got me to try rod and reel fishing jug fishing became a thing of the past! Watching that rod tip bend just keep on bending. Its just hard to beat that...............