any one know how to catch turtles.

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by montgomery#1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i need some help my friend being a idiot released all of his snapping turtles and they have gone out of control and we need to get rid of them before they eat all the bass at the pond we fish at. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've caught them accidently using cut bluegill. I'm sure any cutbait would work. They usually tap at your line though and don't usually hook up unless you snag them, maybe a stinger rig with a few big treble hooks would work good? Look up the Dinkbuster over on the Ohio thread......he's notorius for catching turtles.......lol

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Years ago I used to fish a lot of ponds for channelcats. I would catch several turtles using chicken livers or nightcrawlers.:cool2:

4. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    thanks for the info John and Aaron.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you sure they're snappers? any cutbait will do. i would use something tough like carp instead of shad or bluegills. bass will eat those and end up being a meal for a turtle. we make setlines with trotline cord and one limerick hook, maybe size 2, tied to a tree or pole, and leave it out overnight, and use a single brick for a weight. if you have a high concentration of turtles, the baits will get hit nightly.
    depending on the size of your body of water, the bass shouldn't be in too much trouble. we are loaded down with snappers, sliders, and softshells here and the fishing is great. good luck to you.

6. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive caught alot of them on chickin liver. Or cut bait as im fishing for channels. So i thank one of them baits will work for u.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I remember this from a post several years ago, so if it's a little fuzzy, so's my recollection.
    Turtles like to crawl up on sloping logs & such to lay in the sun. This trap consists of having a sloping board that the turtles can crawl up, but then can't get off of. You'll need a board wide enough to accomodate whatever size turtle you plan to catch; and it needs to be long enough to stick down into the water and stick out of the water enough so that the turtle can crawl completely out. Attach some boards to both sides and the front of the board to prevent the turtle from crawling over the side or crawling completely over the board. Drive a bunch of nails into the board from the bottom, creating a bed of nail points. When the board is tilted at the angle you plan to use when you put it in the water, the nails should point kind of toward the top end. The idea is that the turtle can crawl up over the bed of nail points, because they're pointing away from it, but can't back down because the nail points stick into it when it tries to move backward; the side & top boards keep it from continuing to crawl till it crawls off the board.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jugging. take a 2' lenght of heavy speaker wire. strip the last 3"of one end. take the wire through a med sized treble hook and wrap it tightly. tie other end to handle of milk jug. attach a 15' lenght of twine to handle as well. bait these with liver and stake twine and toss out.

canned turtle. take a large soup or small tin coffee can. take a length of wire leader or wire and wrap a treble hook to it. poke a hole in cans end and run wire through it so hook ends up in can. attach wire to heavy twine 4-5' long and stake down bait with liver and sit 3-4 feet off bank under water. can keeps ya from getting bit.

set a regular trot line and weight one end. bait with fish liver and toss out weight.

take a 3'x3' peice of plywood. use fencing staples to attach 6-7 large trebles to wood all over sheet. spread livers on and between the hooks. tie a rope 3-4' long through a hole in corned of wood. toss in shallow water. hooks & bait up.

any way will almost guarentee turtles. send meat to me.:wink::roll_eyes:

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    being the redneck that i am sounds like a good time with a 22 rifle to me shot them in the head i spent many hours doing this at strip pitts and ponds .

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you are chasing snappers you might check out netcraft.com if they dont have a web site any more check out the classified ads in the back of outdoor magizines.they sale some out of site turtule traps.

11. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    We used to jug for them when I was a kid. We used really heavy fishing line like 100 pound test. A large hook and cut bait. We had the line go to the bottom. We would check the jug the following morning.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Chicken liver seems to always work well for me.

13. BasalCell

BasalCell New Member

State:
    Florida
    Seems to be the only thing I can catch on a 4/0 and bluegill lately. Danged things... I made a deal with one of them I caught twice. Tryin' to take the hook out of it's head, I said "You don't bite me and I won't cut your head off". Heh. That 4/0 circle went straight up through it's head, just behind and between it's eyes... Get'em on the bottom with dough balls too.

14. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    turtles breath air therefore they must come to the top eventually. get u some tasty beverages and sit back with ur favorite gun on the bank . preferablly a high power riffle :wink:

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Zeb we set out lines all the time for snappers, our set up is 3/8" fence rod and add about 10" of heavy line and a heavy barrel swivel then 10" more line a good hook and we use chicken gizzards, they stay on better for us the fiddlers don't clean your hook, set the rods around the bank of spot you want to catch them, and the swivel allows the turtle to spin with out breaking the line off works well.

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    cant shoot a rifle or shotgun into the water. you can use a bow though and shoot them wwith that. would that work.

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Go into the BOC archives, I think there is a thread, on kow to make a floating turtle trap, with a drawing, I think.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya its illegal to fire a gun in or across water in illinos.

and sitting on a bank shooting turtles to me makes me sick any how. meat sells for $11 ish a lb and many would love to have it. sensless killing.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if ya try this make sure no one lives within 5 miles of the pond. riccoches are immenant, thats why its illegal here.

i say jug em. got to be some old timers there that would love the meat.

20. vicktoria

vicktoria New Member

State:
    ohio
    only time i have caught turtles is when im trying for catfish. and i use cut shad for that. so i say go for the cut shad, and i have known a couple people to use raw chicken breast.