Any one heard this wise tale

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigmike, Jul 16, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    A buddy of mine heard an old saying about the wind direction. Curious if any one ever heard it before or if there is any truth to this odd sounding rhyme? Just a side note he swears by it.

Here it is:

If the wind is from the North a wise fisherman won't go forth
    If the wind is from the South it blows the bait in their mouth
    If the wind is from the East fish bite the least
    If the wind is from the West fish bite the best

Curious on your imput--------But I will probably fish any chance I get no matter the wind or weather.:cool2:

2. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never heard that, Mike. I appreciate hearing it.....I just may learn somethin' LOL. Thanks!

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yep heard it before, don't know how true it is. I'm like you though I'm going when I can.

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I buy into that one

and when the wind does not blow, the fish do show

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Catbusster I have never heard that part, but sounds like it could fit.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry guys but I don't care what direction the winds blowing. If I have a kitchen pass and the means, I'm going fishing. I really can't buy that a fish knows what direction the wind is blowing nor believe that it cares. Lol...if the fish is hungry he's gonna eat.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Heard it from all the old timers when I was working my way to old timer, never had heard the last part though, glad to have heard it also, but will deffinetly go fishing no matter what way it blows.

8. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    that saying it true, but i like the wind out of the south the best.:0a20:

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have heard that before also, from a fisherman one day out at Leibs Island. I believe that old fisherman have alot to teach us. I belive it, but still test my luck whenever I can.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Brother, if you ever fish in the ocean on the east coast it aint an old wives tale. Its the fisherman's creed.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've been raised on it lol and i can tell you its the truth

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive heard it before but like the others if I have a chance to go fishin Im going. My brother in law always says that its blowen from the north that means no bites, however the only thing he has fished with is worms and liver so I somewhat belive it but I figure the way that I fish that me getting bites I practicly have to beg them anyways LOL.

13. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I appreciate all the responses I thought he was making up the saying. I still love to fish so much that I will have a line in the water whenever I can

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive heard it before. I believe there is *SOME* truth in it. First there appears to be some link between fronts and fish biting. Fronts generally come from the north, atleast in my area. Wind from the north is generally cooler while wind from the south is warmer. Other environmental occurances are subject to which way the wind blows, so it makes sence that they could have some truth behind them. That doesnt mean I follow them, I go fishing when I have the chance, and leave the details out.

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Could'nt be said better!

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like someone who fishes the north east side of the lake wrote that... he only gets bitten when the wind blows the plankton and shad up to that side and there for the fish bite there...

My thought is if you have the time, get your line wet... can't catch anything with a dry line... :wink:

17. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    good saying, but never tested it just go when ever

18. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive never heard that b4, wonder if its true....

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have heard the south and west and no wind but not the other two. Like many others though if the wind isn't blowing me over and I have time I am going fishing.:cool2:

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I believe it. but don't care I fish when I can. I think it more pertains to ocean or shore fishing. Remember if the cows are laying down the fish won't bite.