Any one have a tic problem yet.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by on_the_fly, Apr 18, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went hunting yesterday in the evening for the first time this season, ( I usualy only turkey hunt in the mornings) it was 74* so I went. Well after I got where I was going I got myself situated and made a few Kee Kee calls and looked down and I bet there was at least 20 tics on my camo. well I dont smoke no more so I didnt have a lighter on me to burn um so I was flicking them as far as I could. I dont think I ever got to a point were there were no tics on me some where. I was still pulling tics off a hour after I got home. I had that same problem last year on that farm. I just wander if a person could use that stuff for dogs and cats ( Front Line ) man I'd try it if I knew it wouldnt hurt me and would work on me like it does on my dogs lol.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Leroy,Ina as few words as possible ,Two things. Garlic pills and/or Vitimin B caps. either one will give ya a stink they will avoid. I just douse myself with a high DEET formula before I go out up in that part of the country. Ticks an Chiggers seem to love me too.

3. fishndad30

fishndad30 New Member

State:
    sigourney ,iowa
    already pull'n them off my dogs,and kids!!!i live on a farm,in summer we keep a "tick" jar on the porch so the kids don't bring them in the house.seven dust might work for you....funny...i tell everyone "you know its love if ,after 13 years of marriage you can still turn the lights on bright and pick tics off your spouse and not be repulsed".....lol:big_smile:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Heck, Do what I do!!! Put duct tape on the back of your watch!!! It keeps the Ticks Off...:wink:!!! LMAO!!!

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For some reason this does not surprise me.:wink:

Put it on the front and it won't "watch" you.:smile2:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Being that I have nothing to lose,I would gladly try the "Front Line" if I could get out in some ticks.Being my Cockatoo and I already bark and howl with my dogs (for real),I wonder what it would do.I already like my belly rubbed and being scratched behind the ears.I do get the urge to tree a Squirrel and chase a cat every now and then,though I can barely walk.Hmmm.I wonder if that is Front Line my wife is putting on me after a shower?I think that I might better lay off the Purina chow for a while.

I do not howl with my Cockatoo and dogs to annoy my wife as she accuses me.I do it because I like to do it and my critters like me joining in.Everyone but my tortoise that is.The poor critter seems to be deaf and dumb.OOPS!Speech and hearing challenged!At least he does not complain about it like the wife.

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    A bath with a little Clorox in it will get em off ya too...just a few capfuls off the jug in a full bath.

The water will be full of em when you get out....we have seed ticks BAD here.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am having to dust my dogs once a week already. the stuff i have is sevin, and it says dusting them more than once a week is hazardous to their health. i have tried three different sprays and granules all around both yards, and the damn things are still there. i start pickin em off the dogs 4 days after a dusting, i think i am about to set the dang yard on fire. don't want to jack the thread, but what works for keeping them gone? i haven't seen ticks this bad in years.

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    if you have a big enough yard and are able to keep animals around get you about 3 or 4 gennies. you wont have a flea or tick problem.
    thats why they use them on farms around here to help keep fleas and ticks off their live stock is what I was told.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use to spray my in laws yard with Seven in the 70's.I had the needed sprayer with a agitator mounted on a tractor at the time as it was a "Wettable powder" and would settle out.It was a far stronger solution than the dust of today.
    Worked good.Happy Jack and other creosote dips worked great on dogs in the old days if you could stand the smell.I don't know how good they are now with new regs.Caution!Dipped or wet dogs love to share this dip by shaking it all over you.I have been asked by my family and in laws not to go to Church with them on Sunday after a Saturday dipping session.The preacher got a whiff of me on Monday morning and agreed with them.So much for my soul!

Do not get them on you.Showing off and walking the fence that kept the cattle from climbing out of the sides of the old 1950's Creosote dip tank,I fell in it.WOW!I was 8.That was 56 years ago and I ain't forgot it.Grandpaw made me sleep in the barn for a good while.Grandma scrubbed me to death several times a day every day with her home made soap during this time.My skin got sore and came off like a sunburn.It took a while for my eyes to heal.This did not stop the scrubbing or make me smell better.It was a good thing that someone saw me as I was temporarily blinded by it.

The Jeffers folks have good stuff.Look up tick control.Some is safe as it can be used on milk cows.You could probably wear it.They have been good to me with their recommendations for 30+ years.They have also been in business for a long time on their reputation with the farmers and stock raisers of America.

11. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Today, while turkey hunting on opening morning, I pulled 5 ticks off of me. It didn't bother me though because it was all worth it after I called in my friend's first turkey. He harvested the gobbler with my ten gauge. I'm sorry, but I don't have a picture up yet. At the check-in station, the scales weighed the turkey in at 25 pounds. It had a 10 1/2 inch beard, and one of its spurs was 1 1/2 long, while the other had been chipped and it measured an inch. It is the largest turkey that I have seen taken. I'd have to say that it was very satisfying for me to help my friend get his first turkey, even though that would have been a hell of a turkey for me to shoot. It was all worth it in the end!

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrads on your buddies first bird. a bird of that size says he's hooked on it now.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use permanone on my cloths(saturate and let dry) then use 40%deet. Was in the timber most of the weekend and knock on wood, no ticks.

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used permanone yesterday and come out with out any ticks. My ol-man swears by it. good stuff