Any one fished from afton point on the verdigris

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, Dec 27, 2007.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I was on my way to tekiller and stopped by there kind of by accident. It was really nice with an abundace of wildlife. I wished I could have stayed and fished then but am wanting to back if its worth goin. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

2. acats

acats New Member

State:
    OK
    I live not to far from there and have fished the navigational system from near Claremore all the way into Arkansas. The area you are talking about has produced several Blues over 15lbs for me. When you launch your boat and are heading back to the river the water gets real shallow at the mouth so use caution. If you go east from the ramp it dead ends about a mile from the ramp, it's a stumpy area and the fishing is great. If you haven't tried fishing there yet you really need to. Good luck!!!

3. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the info. I am definately going to try to make it back there this year. Even if they arent bitin the place is beautiful. How deep is it around the ramp?

4. acats

acats New Member

State:
    OK
    Most of the area in front of the ramp is around 10' the creek channel is a little over half way across the cove. The deepest I have found in there is about 14 or 15 ft. Bait fish can be caught right there at the ramp early and late in the day or you can go out into the navigational channel and find it there as well. The channel is a good place to do some drifting. Drop your line to the bottom and crank it back up 3 or 4 turns and get ready because they are there. FISH ON :wink:

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks. I cant wait until I can go. Now we just need it to be a little warmer so the camping wont be so bad. Once again I appreciate the information, it was a big help.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Run up the river about 9 miles and it will put you right below Lock and Dam 18.
    I fish on L @ D 18 a lot and we sometimes lock through and fish below the dam in the spring. There can be lots of great action when the spring rains concinde with the prespawn and there's nobody else but you fishing there. There's not to many that know how or want to lock through from up above and not many that take the boat ride up the river from Afton Landing. Afton is a great place to camp. Bluff Landing right above L @ D 18 offers nice campgrounds as well.

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks! Im not sure Im willing to go up that far but I will check out the other campgrounds. Its quite a drive for me so I like to see as much as possible. Its a beautiful river. On average how deep is the main river? Am I better off at the river or at the lake? Thanks.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The Verdigris/Navagation channel has to be a min depth for barge traffic. When a barge is loaded down they sit believe at least ten feet, so the min depth in the main channel is 12 feet I believe. I don't go on L @ D 17 where Afton landing is that much but I know on average it's shallower than L @ D 18. There's plenty of good fishing in the river, but I've caught most of my bigger fish back in the oxbow's and some of the larger creeks on the river. There's some even better river fishing IMO closer to the Kansas border which might be closer for ya. The Verdigris river above Oolagah lake has some super fishing probably the best section of river in Okla for Flatheads. The Caney above Hulah Lake isn't too shabby either.

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I might try to make it a vacation out of it and try a lot of the lakes in the area. I grew up fishing Kaw and love that place.We used to tie up to the cable and stay up there for days while they were runnin water. talk about sea sick. My dad loved it so much we spread his ashes below the dam. He was raised in Drumwright and grew up fishing Keystone, Oolagah and Eufala. I want to fish alot of the waters he grew up on so all of his stories come to life.Thanks for your replies.