any one fish the congaree below columbia

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by dknight, May 7, 2009.

1. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    going to try it out this week end and was hoping for any tips.:big_smile_2:

2. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We fish it a good bit but the way my luck's been running I think I should write a book on how not to catch catfish:eek:oooh:. We've been catching a few here and there but nothing to right home about. Most of the ones we've caught have been on cut blueback herring with a few of the better fish coming on live bream. We've been able to locate a few fish fairly easily and the bite's been Ok but they haven't been hitting very hard and most of the fish have been in the teen's which is nothing special in this river system. I've seen that a few folks have been catching stripers on the Wateree which means they are in the Congaree as well. Overall this should be a pretty good time to fish.

Where are ya'll putting in? I'm planning to work on the yard some this weekend but I'm sure we'll be on the river either tomorrow evening or Saturday night. Watch for a Smokercraft center console with the Gamakatsu sticker on the windshield and we'll share a soda and compare notes.:wink:

3. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I will be putting in at rosewood landing in columbia, i have a 16 foot canoe i fish out of, ill keep an eye out for you. thats for the tips

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We're usually further down river than that. If you end up down towards 601 you would definately run across us. If I were up that way I'd certainly try the stripers. While you're sneaking around in that canoe make sure you keep something tied on that you can cast and crank. When the sun is just on the rise or turning in for the night the striper bite could really get crazy.:wink:

5. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    will do, thanx again

6. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I fish at low landing on the river If you ever want to go see how and where I fish i would be glad to take you.I got a 15.5 scout cc all set up to catfish at night. let me know.

7. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I might take you up on that.

8. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sounds good.:tounge_out:

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used to fish the Congaree right at Gervais out of a canoe when I was in school in Columbia. Didn't get many big fish, but we enjoyed steady action with small channels and small stripers fishnig in the riffle right there with light tackle and cut shad (threadfin and gizzard shad that I would cast there in the rocky shallows).

10. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Another thing to look out for are big log jams. Just anchor above them and cast right in front with some good bloody cut bait and you can drag a hawg out of there. I have always put in at Bates bridge on 601 and went up river or went down river to the mouth of Wateree River they use to be a log jam right at the mouth. Good luck.

11. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks, learning alot from this site. Alot of good info. gonna try to hit it this saturday, I will post a report.

p.s. changed my avitar to a more respectable pic, at least till i hook up a monster cat :wink:

12. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    lol, that will work. ill get that lead tomorrow