Any one fish lake Wylie

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Just wondering if any one fishes Lake Wylie North or South Carolina.

Ace:0a23:

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I fish Wylie on the South Carolina side and have fished the NC side a few times. Tons of channel cats in the 10 lbs range swim in the lower end of the lake.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Is there a reciprocal agrement between NC and SC on Lake Wylie ?

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    No sir there is not. I wish there was but with the way the lake is laid out I understand why there isn't.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :) I fish wylie every chance I get. It's a great lake for channel cats, and there are some flat heads in there too.

6. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Do you know what areas they are caught at Wylie? I know they're in there but haven't caught one yet. I hear that flatheads over over 15 lbs. are very rare. I live less than 15 minutes from the Nivens Creek ramp. I also want to learn more about the blues in Wylie.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally I haven't caught a ton of flatheads in wylie, but a friend of mine does. I like to get anchored down and fish one spot at a time. He spends a lot of time trolling flats in the main channels. He also uses live bait, and bump rigs.

I also wanted to let all you wylie fisherman who are interested know that the catfish tourements will be starting soon. Last year (Teds Hunting and Fishing )in Clover started having all night tournements. I know he has a schedule made but I don't have a copy of it yet. As soon as I get one I'm going to post it on here. Or yall can call him, 803-222-4647. We blast off from Allison Creek boat landing, it's a 3 fish weigh in, and your biggest of the 3 goes in as your big fish. He pays First, Second, and Third for total weight, and big fish is winner take all. There is allso going to be a points system this year, with a trophy going to the winner at the end of the year. I had a ball fishing these things last year, and I hope all of yall will give it a shot. And tell other people.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I wish I could that but since I work the weekends I can't. My buddy and I are planning a Wylie trip pretty soon but not sure when yet.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have taken some nice Blues on Wylie the past few weeks. The Channels are a little harder to catch, and it seems to be better when water is being moved on the lake.

I would be interested in hearing more about the tournaments. I hope they are catch, weigh and release tournaments.

10. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    WylieCat
    What's the secret to catching some of those blues. I've never caught a blue on wylie, but I really want to. Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

And I allso tried to answer your questions on the other thread about the tournements.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bait and moving water.

It seems certain baits seem to work better like crappie fillets. It also helps when there is some water flow on the South Fork. If the Lake Wylie dam is open, or there is a lot of water coming from Plant Allen, the bite seems to be better. Large bait presentations seem to be better than smaller bait. I think the big boys don't want to get up and move if they are not getting a mouthful.