Any one ever tried "pole noodling"?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by DCcatfisher, Jun 30, 2009.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was talking to a guy at work who said he done this on High Rock Lake here in central NC. Start out by taking a 10' section of 3/4" pvc pipe and run 12-14' length of rope or twine through the pipe. On one end tie a 7/0 treble hook and the other end tie on a large washer. Go out on the lake and cruise around looking for concrete boat ramps going into the water. Get in the water and feel along the edges of the ramp until you find a hole going up under it. Pull the hook up to the pipe and run the pipe into the hole and when you feel something hit it snatch back and the pipe becomes a fishing rod. He said that the fish would bite down on the pipe, trying to protect it's territory I guess. He showed me some pics on his phone of three flatheads they caught, a 15lb, 18lb, and a 38lb one.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depends on how the laws in your particular state are written. In Oklahoma, if you have anything with you other than your bare hands, your illegal. AND, those fish were probably protecting their spawn. Hope the eggs had all ready hatched or those fish will be lost. It just seems to me that there should either by law, or voluntarily be no noodling until after the spawn.

3. Tree-Stump

Tree-Stump New Member

State:
    newton grove, n
    noodling has to be done during the spawn. thats why they are in the holes you noodle them out of.

4. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    needless to say we don't noodle much here in florida with gators and snappin turtles. have you met the twins stubz and nubz ? they used to be pro noodlers till they tryed it in florida !!! there is just some things in florida that you really don't want choping on yur noodle.

i think it would be fun to do it up north but i'd only want to learn about the sport and turn the fish loose. but much respect to the crazy noodlers tho and i though i was a few frys short of a happy meal hahhahah i aint got nothing on them guys shewie.

another idea i seen was puttin old tires with no rim on the lake bottom and cuttin a small hole in one side to allow eater sized cats to swim in and get traped in then you come back in a day or to and pick them up out of the water and check for catfish in it. it this way is slow then perhaps add some bait in each tire .

sounded like a cool way to recycle used tires to me gl

5. Angling Andrew

Angling Andrew New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    No, that's not true, it's just best during the spawn. The fish go in holes all year.

6. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas

Kinda defeats the purpose of noodling doing it that way..either way, here it's illegal to use anything but your hands. You can't even use a dive mask or swimming goggles. I like it better that way personaly. Can't noodle lakes in this state though either, only two rivers open for it statewide.

7. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    to the noodlers hats off to you crazy people LOL . be safe out there

also do ya walk funny with the cahonies it takes to do such event LOL ,just a joke

and if it makes ya happy go for it my friends

8. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Depends on how cold the water is. :wink: