Any one catch bluegills on just a hook?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by TnShooter, Apr 18, 2007.

1. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I've done it once.
    It was a gold hook.
    Never thought it would happen, maybe it was an accident?

2. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    A couple of times while fishing with ex wife yes. Had to throw an empty hook in to make sure she caught the first fish when we went together or she would get...shall we say "PMS" ee on me.

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    nope Iv done it to. I dropped a can of bee-jay into a pond one night and was dipping a small gold treble hook used for troutfishin in the water trying to maybe get ahold of the edge of the lid or something and low and behold I felt a little tug and pulled out a little gill. the funny thing is I threw him back because I did not even know back then that they make great bait!!!:eek:oooh:

lol so I just went back to trying to snag my jar of stinkbait hahaha.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yep I've caught em on gold hooks and the new neon colered trout hooks too I've also caught fresh released hatchery trout on bare gold hooks.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i understand your question, i have caught them on a bare hook before, usually moving the hook under a float. I do this when i run out of bait or forget to take any.:lol: Here is a cheap way to get em if you don't have any live bait such as crawlers or wax worms..... i use slip-floats, couple of splitshots, num.2 or 4 aberdeen , then take a twister tail, scented ones like berkely's work best. bite one or two links off the body, and place on hook...it can be as deadly as an actual wax worm, especially if you use a white tail. i like them cause they don't tear off easily and there inexpensive. i only use this technique when they are aggressive in warm water, you may have to slow reel it or pop it every now and then to get their interest.:smile2: try it sometime its pretty fun!!

6. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    Thanks...So I guess I'm not the only one.
    I've told this to many people and I get a "You're BS me " look.

7. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have done it more than a few times. Tear up some bread or chips and throw it on the water. When the bluegill attack the bread, drop in a bare hook. A lot of fun with kids or grandkids.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yep I've caught one on a golden #4 treble in clear water...they all rushed to it, first come first serve... :wink:

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    never bluegill on bare hook, but bet I could if I put a bare hook on my bobber. seems they like comin up n bitin that bobber lol.

I have caught channel cats on bare hook before. was stringin out a trotline once and caught em on the shiny stainless hooks before i could get em baited.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    No Clint - It's no accident!

Sometimes Bluegills can be so aggressive when come down to there surrounding - that on the right day, at the right time, you will get a reaction strike out of them with something small & shiney. So it doesn't suprise me at all that it could happen at all.
    :0a22:

Take it easy,
    Bert & Shania

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we used to fish our local resivoir dam. in the heat of summer when the water is low we used to use gold hooks and just slap the water with it. and yank it back out. one of about every 4 casts would have one on it when we yanked it out. really freaks the fish out, and the guy fishing behind you.. we learned this when we ran out of stuff to catch bait with, and noticed they would rush to it and grab it but, just spit it out.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Nope, I can't say I have ever done that. Hey..! Maybe thats my problem...I ought to try no bait at all, then maybe I'll catch em'! LOL
    :big_smile:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    bronze bait keeper

he wasnt a eater though

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Happens all the time. Little gills yes, But the ones that live to get big sure won't. They didn't get big by being stupid!
    :boss: ​

15. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    many times.. red or colored hooks. before dark was best...

16. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    We can catch them off of the dock like this. When there are several it seems that they rush to everything that hits the water. Just flipped the gold hook in the water and don't let it sit still. You gotta know that fish with brains like that are pretty low in the food chain.

17. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    yup i have once in a stock bluegill pond on a local farm. pure luck and accident. the little guys would take anything. we used a box of raisin as bait. they worked great and bluegills could strip them off the hook

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Several of the guides at Santee fish for white perch with just gold hooks and I have caught many that way.Just drop it down and jig it a little bit.I wouldn't say its more effective that a small piece of night crawler but if you just wantd a few it would work.:smile2:

19. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have never caught a gill this way but I did entice a very small bass with a shiny hook one time at a boat ramp.