Any of you Ohio guys ever catch a flathead in January?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 31, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Several years ago we had a very warm december, and I went fishing in a tee shirt on Jan 1st. It was 70 degrees...I am pretty sure I hooked into a good size flathead, the fish was pulling drag, and I could feel the head shake but it got off...I still wonder to this day if that was my first winter flathead.

I have caught them as late as mid november, when we have a warm fall.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jack I've caught big cats in about every month but more luckier when fishing nastier weather for saugeyes in January on a jig. Very slow retrieve in with ice building up on the eye of the rod.

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Two years ago I caught a 17 pound flat on the Ohio River the second week of january it was around 20 degrees.I even remember what I caught him on 2 Shad minnows that had been in my freezer for over a month.

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    the only kind of fishing i do in jan is on t.v. with bill dance:smile2:.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have caught several good cats during warmer days in Dec, Jan. and Feb. I think it was either 04 or 05 that we had several nice days in January and had some great fishing. The power plant warm water discharges are especially good spots on the Ohio. About 4 years ago a friend and I hit the Scioto in the discharge at that small plant just south of CMH and we caught more fish that day than any single day I can remember. only reason I give that exact location is because I will probably never fish it again , Hopefully someone on here will try it sometime.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Jack, I took a 3 lber 2 winters ago on the GMR on a nice day in Janurary. I posted on here about it so with some research, could locate the post, hit cut shad and the if I remember right, we had a warm rain, several nicer days and the water temps peaked at about 46 degrees that day.

Salmonid