Any Oak Hollow tips?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by lastfling, Jul 2, 2009.

1. lastfling

lastfling New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm headed out to Oak Hollow tomorrow around 2p til lake closing @ 830 and never having fished this lake, I wondered if anyone has any tips on boating a few catfish.

I'll be taking a buddy from work & his brother from out of town.

With a new boat (for me), and being a relatively inexperienced catfisherman wannabe :roll_eyes:, I'm looking for any advice, anyone might be willing to share, so as I can maybe put my guests on a few fish.

I'll have a cast net & if the shad are available I'm planning on trying to net a few for bait, and if that fails I'm going the bobber route for a few bream. Will also have a tub of chicken livers for a fallback position.

Would a santee type rig w/ float be the way to go, or straight on the bottom.

Thanks

2. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    from what ive heard drifting slowly can do good there on bottom and according to what ive heard the shad should be stacked in there, good luck buddy

3. lastfling

lastfling New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'm going to give it a whirl and let the chips fall where they may.

4. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    James, shad are very easy on Oak Hallow. Go to the bubbles in the water and use the trolling motor to move down the line. You will see the shad on the bubbles and can load up in one cast. Last time I was there, I netted 67 shad in one cast. Drifting is a very productive method on that lake. Run lines on the bottom and on floats.

5. lastfling

lastfling New Member

State:
    NC
    I'd like to thank those who replied to my post.

We put in the water yesterday about 2 and headed out for bait. Had all we could use within 5 minutes and set about fishing. I don't know whether the bite was off, or what, but we only managed 4 small channels in the 6 hours we were out with the biggest being maybe 1.5lb. Tried drifting and anchoring up. The other fella's with me switched to chicken livers and fed a lot of little ones.

Nice day on the water though.

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Try going out early. Be on the water as soon as the lake opens. Catch your bait and set up your drifts in about 20' of water. Try to drift along the old creek channels. One good drift is from the 311 bridge back toward the bubbles. The other is down the channel in the arm of the lake that goes off to the left right after you leave the dock.
    Keep your drift slow. Use a drift sock if the breeze is up to slow you down. If you go too fast it does not seem to work as well. We try to set up to drift in a particular direction and use the trolling motor to stay on course and the drift sock(s) to maintain speed.
    Also try varying your bait presentation. Try bite sized pieces of shad, then bigger pieces, some whole shad with the tail off, full length shad fillets, ect. Sometimes we start with one of each on different lines until we find what is working. Cats can be picky and the size of the bait sometimes makes all the difference in the bite.
    Another factor is your rig. Straight Carolina rigs, bait suspended about 6" off the bottom with a drag weight, and deep line floats at various depths all work but at different times and places.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    The lake has been off this a little, the holes that at most times has been holding smaller one's. There is cats out there to catch, One thing to do is change up you methods, cut shad, whole shad, drift with floats or with out, I tend to make a mix on my first drift to see what is going on, also hook size and bait size is a biggie, I use a hooks 5/0 or bigger to keep off the dinks, and use bigger bait, the cats are now hanging off points and drifting around 1/3mph is the speed so far, also think about the amount of weight you are using on your drift, in 20' of water i use not more than enough to keep the bait in the strike zone. I will be on the lake Tuesday morning just look for the boc flag. good luck and good fishing,

8. lastfling

lastfling New Member

State:
    NC
    Jeff, I'd love to be looking for the BOC flag in the AM, but......, the closest I'm going to come is a glance at the 311 pulloff of I-40 on my way to GSO. Work can be a pain at time.:sad2: Good luck & tks
    Warren