Any Numismatists Out There?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jholl949, Dec 29, 2007.

1. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I'm looking for someone to give me a fair idea of the value of a $1.00 bill that is misprinted. Anyone have any experience with this?

Attached Files:

2. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mike I see where the l is outta place under america.Sure its not a old counterfeit?

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Why in the world would someone go through the trouble to counterfeit a 1 dollar bill? An honest question. Also, I didn't see anything wrong with the I. Don't know what it's worth, but it has to be more than a buck. What year is it?

4. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know that would be odd but im sure its been done.There are a couple of dollar bill misprints on ebay right now you might keep an eye on them and see what they go for it might give you a general idea maybe what yours is worth.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The bank stamp is not on the left side where it should be. For as added valve....?

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why would anybody go to the trouble of counterfeiting a penny but its the most counterfeited coin in American coinage.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It would only make since to counterfeit either of them because they would be the most overlooked bills since it seems like the counterfieters would try to fske the big bills to get richer faster. We've seen a few 100$ bills go thru the local bars here. They think it's easy to just order a few beers w/a fake 100$ then walk out & go somewhere else to try it again but i assure the bartender will remember somebody who does that rather then somebody who passes a few 1$ biils all night!!!!Just a thought as far as the counterfiet bills! U might want to keep up w/the ones on ebay to see what they bring! I had a spanish teacher once who went to the mint & bought a couple shhets of 10$ biils i think they had like 12 of them on each sheet, and he was told they were worth like 200$ each sheet if they weren't cut out but only ten dollars each if they cut them and used them! Some thing to think about!!!!

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mike, I am an ANA member, but I specialize in double eagles, not dollars bills.

However, I have not seen this error on auction or elsewhere. It would be a good idea to find a dealer who would be willing to submit your dollar to PCGS grading services. If you have found an unlisted error, you might be entitled to a finder's fee--and you get to keep the dollar! At the very least, you would know whether or not the bill is genuine and what its grade is.

I was just reading in the Numismatist about a man who just discovered a new Sacagawea dollar with "In God We Trust" imprinted on the side of the coin (intended for the Presidential dollars only). He submitted the coin to PCGS and received a $10,000 finder's fee...this is no small award!

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Joel,
    How do I contact the PCGS? I'm fairly sure it's not a "new" occurence, just wanted to determine value. Would I need to send it in?
    Fill me in on the "how-to's", please. Thanks for your input.

10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    When you find out keep us updated you got me curious as for the wealth.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mike,

You'll want to check out http://www.pcgscurrency.com/index.html.

I'm more familiar with http://www.pcgs.com/, which is for coins.

They will tell you everything you need to know, as well as why you need to find a dealer to submit the bill for you, unless you are prepared to become a Collectors Club member.

I personally use the NGC grading service that I can use freely as a member of the American Numismatic Association. However, the PCGS is the crème de la crème of grading services, and probably recommeded for your find.

Believe me, it is worth learning about these grading services. They will not only grade your currency, they will encapsulate your currency so that it is well protected. The value of your item is multiplied when graded.

Having a knowledgable dealer look at your currency first is a good idea, though. He can tell you if it's worth the cost of submitting the dollar for grading in the first place. That, I'm afraid, I can't help with!

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm glad I checked out this thread. I learned a new word. "Numismatists"
    But I dont think I'll ever be able to spell it.

interesting thread. I'll have to book mark this one and look up some info on this subject.

Thanks