Any noodling and the crazy rain?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mtrimble, Jul 2, 2007.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    All my spots are 10 feet under water, if not plain dangerous.
    Im hoping the spawn will be extended this year due to all the rain.

I took my boat up the N. Canadian just upstream of Overholser yesterday. The water was so high that it was higher than the surrounding land. The river was literally pouring off of the channel onto the surrounding land. One of the strangest looking things Ive ever witnessed. Needless to say, it was quite an adventure and one I wont be repeating for awhile.

2. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    LOOKS LIKE THERE IS A CHANCE OF RAIN FOR THE NEXT 5 DAYS OR SO. THEY HAD THE NOODLING TOURNAMENT THIS PAST WEEKEND AND IT MIGHT NOT BE TRUE BUT I HEARD THEY ONLY TURNED IN ONE FISH.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The daily oklahoman ran a story about the noodling tournament. I will still support anyones right to noodle, but the guy they were interviewing stated he had noodled over 350 cats last year....I sure hope he released them. That would be way to many for table fare, and approaching the point of gluttony. I don't think I could support that guy if he noodled that many and gave them to friends...that is just too much.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, I have to say that that is some great news!!!!

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That jerk just admitted to breaking the law then. The limit is three a day.... flathead only. Noodling is only productive during the spawn otherwise fish just swim off. Considering the spawn only lasts a couple months that would mean if he caught his limit every day that would be a max of 180 fish. So the guy is either a liar or a bum or a criminal or a combination of all three. Either way, its boastful jerks like him that give noodling a bad name and encourage disrespect of nature's bounty. I think the reporter was fishing himself and happened to catch the biggest idiot at that stupid tournament.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    We tried sunday but everything is so dang flooded!!

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    At leat this years spawn will be more successful with the water being up like it is. I don't thing High water will stop them.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Just curious. If you pull the fish off the beds, how many fish are lost for every one you keep?

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well the way I see it and "Missourri Has proven it" the fish that are taken off of the beds are there to watch over their young, not sitting there for some noodler with a death wish (adrinaline junky) to come along and take him because he is tired.
    Let's just say that a 40# flathead is guarding a nest that a 50# female just layed her eggs in. The mortality rate is only 1% on a good spawn. If that 50# female lays 300,000 eggs, that means that, 30 of them will suvive to adulthood. That 40# male will guard that nest better than a twenty pound , simply due to his intimidating size and ability to kill almost anything that threatens the nest.
    There are at most times hundreds of preditors just waiting for the moment that something happens and he leaves the nest.
    Now comes the sad part!!! Along comes a noodler! He grabs the fish and takes it away from the nest!!! Now what do you thing happens when he tries to get away??? "He destroyes the nest on the way out!!! So even if you let him go, there is not nest left to attend. In the time that it took for the noodler to pull him out show his buddies his catch and release or keep him, evey preditor that was waiting for that moment has taken advantage of the noodlers medeling. You have not only taken one fish, you have killed the 1% that would have made it, that is 30 fish every time you do it.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't noodle, never really cared for it but I support any Okie that's willing to do it. Oklahoma has had legal noodling for as long as I can remember and we still have probably the best flathead fishing of any state. You would think that those noodler's have taken every last flathead out of our waters. The flatheads are in as great of numbers as they ever have been. The truth is the percentage of noodlers is very very small and the season is pretty darn short. I hear the complaint that it takes fish off the nest and depletes the population. What happens to a fish that is kept and not released? That fish not only will not produce any offspring that year but forever. I see no difference in noodlers and fishing during the prespawn and spawn. Fisherman that use rod and reel and any other type of setline take such a huge amount of fish compared to noodling that, the small amount of fish taken by them is very small. Oklahoma has strict regs on flatheads and noodlers and this keeps the population in very healthy numbers. The problem is so many people believe that noodling is unsporting that they can't see that noodlers affect such a vey small percentage of harvested fish compared to other means.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It doesn't matter to me, how many noddlers there are or how many they say they can catch, ONE in my oppinion is to many. That one fish would be there to protect nests for many (10 or so) years, If you take him out, you have most likely killed over 300 future adult fish in the proccess. I think Noodling should be banned in every state.
    Sorry but this is my oppinion!!!

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Chris makes a good point.

Keep a fish in April by any means and it won’t reproduce that year (or ever again)
    Keep a fish in September by any means and it won’t reproduce next year (or ever again)
    Pull a fish off the nest and keep it and it won’t reproduce this year or ever again.
    Pull a fish off the nest and release it and at least it has a shot at next year.

A fish removed via noodling in June has exactly the same impact on the population as the same fish removed via rod and reel or set lines in April or May.

I ‘m on record as not supporting new harvest methods in Missouri or Kansas, but in reality what I’d like to see is a more aggressive management plan. Noodlers aren’t the problem, fish hogs are. Fish hogs can be rod and reel fishermen, set liners, noodlers, bow hunters, and probably some I’m not thinking about who remove great numbers of large fish from our waters.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I support noodling. I don't think I"ll ever vote to take another freedom away from anybody, so long as I live. Once you give up a freedom, it's never coming back. Oklahoma recently voted to outlaw cockfighting. Did I ever fight chickens? Nope, but once that's gone, it'll never be back. I know some folks who enjoyed it immensely & made good money on the weekends doing it. I don't noodle much (I'm a terrible chicken) but I support a man's right to do so. It's perfectly legal in Oklahoma to noodle, and I support those who choose to do it.

Okay, with that being said.....I'm personally very strict about CPR on any fish that I catch on a rod & reel that's over 12 pounds. I also enjoy taking every opportunity to CPR big fish when I have other people with me. I love to see the looks on their faces. I've CPR'ed some really nice fish within the past year, and nearly everytime I've done it I've had someone with me that's new to catch & release on catfish. I think it's a great opportunity to teach others about how long it takes a big cat to get that way. I just don't feel comfortable killing a big fish. I've really blown some people's minds by releasing big cats, that's pretty cool in itself.:cool2:

BTW, let me edit this post: It ain't just the noodlers that i wish would learn to CPR..... they just catch quite a few more truly big fish than everybody else, percentage wise.

My only problem with noodling (or jugfishing & trotlining for that matter) is that a lot of the fun is taking that fish and going and showing him off at the dock & then eating him. The same cannot be said for a man who's catching them with a rod & reel. Don't get me wrong, I got into running jugs this year and we're putting a lot of catfish in the freezer doing so. My buddies and I have put on some darn good fish fries this year with the fish we've caught on jugs. What makes me cringe about running jugs, is that all the fun comes when you pull the jug up with a fish on it.... then it's pretty much over except for showing off your catch when you get back to the dock. When you catch a fish on a rod & reel, you at least get to set the hook, play it some and get it to the boat. The only knock I have against noodling, is that nearly every noodler I know will take the big fish and clean them. I know quite a few folks who noodle, and I couldn't name a single one that CPRs. I just wish noodlers would convert their way of thinking some. :wink: I don't see anything wrong with catching fish with your hands, but take a few pictures and turn 'em loose occasionally. Not every big fish has to be killed. If the noodlers would learn to CPR (even a little bit), I doubt that very many people would complain about their sport.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't fish for large fish during the spawn and I don't keep large fish (over 10lbs) any other time either!!! Heck, I seldom ever keep any of them I catch!!!

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I've said it many times before.....The means by which a catfish is havested is irrelevant. What really matters is smart catfish management. In Oklahoma we have a tons of very liberal means to take fish, but what keeps us a great state for fishing is smart management of the fish. We can only take a combined limit of 15 blues and channels each day. We can take 10 flatheads a day with a 20" min. Noodlers are only allowed 3 per day and the season to actually take one by noodling is 2 months or so. States like Kentucky that have Zero policys set up for a catfish mangement plan will suffer to the people who take too many. When you have a state that manages the catfish by numbers and or size the catfishing will be great. The means by which a catifsh is harvested doesn't matter what matters is a smart management plan.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You said it and, I couldn't agree more. Kentucky better do something fast of the fishin hogs are gonna eliminate catfishing for us.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I gotta totally agree with both of you. KY better act and act quick before our Trophy flatheads(up here) and also blues down JW's way are gonna be near or extinct. What can we do though??? :confused2:

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    My point is never to try and convince you that noodling or any type of setlining is unsporting. Everyone has their own OPINIONS on what is fair and what is not. What I do like to sway your perceptions on is catfish management and not on the METHOD fish are taken. All fisherman have the same goal whether their rod and reel only or setline and noodle all day.....we want to catch fish, and lots of them. When a state provides guidelines on the amount of fish a person can harvest to keep healthy populations, what's the problem. There is no difference at all in a person that keeps 15 fish with a rod and reel vs a person who noodle or setlines and catchs his 15 fish by that method. This is all personal opinion on the method of harvest.

I wonder how many people really feel that it's "sporting" to catch catfish with super heavy duty gear? A person has a ugly stick tiger rod that's basically a saltwater rod, has a heavy duty penn reel, 100+ plus braided line and a circle hook to hook the fish by itself. During this time the rod is simply placed in a rod holder waiting for the fish to take the bait, hook himself and then you winch him up with your heavy duty rod and reel. How much more different is that from setting a limb line? I've caught 35+ pound fish with my rod and reel that was left in my rod holder while I was in the woods cleaning up deer stands. I'm I a better catfisherman for taking a fish with this method vs a limb line? Setlining has by far made me a better catfisherman in learning the habit's and movement of catfish. My ability to catch fish with a rod and reel has greatly increased over the years learning to use setlines.

Anyway the whole point is we all love to catfish. That's one thing we can all agree on. You might not like or ever approve of different methods of taking fish, but we all in the end want the same thing "good fishing" When regulations are in place on the amount of fish havested NOT the methods in which they are taken...there will be plenty of good fishing for all.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The method in question here, Is aimed right at FLATHEADS (Males) that are guarding a nest. The nest is what is important to me and, the future of our fisheries. Go ahead and turn a blind eye to what is happening in your state. and when they are gone you will have to move to a place that had folks that cared about their resources.

There are a few methods in Ok. that are very detremental to a good fishery, Example: Keystone lake used to be a great lake to fish for big blues, now it is nothing more than a shadow of it's once mighty fishery due to snag lines set all around the lake. I think that the fish hogs have ruined that lake and will move on to others and ruin them too. The Game Wardens down there better wake up and do their jobs and catch these people , that is what they are paid for.

The gear I use has nothing to do with this and, Using heavier gear will keep the fish I catch from dieing from stress, due to a long fight. I don't fish for flatheads during the spawn.

20. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Oklahoma, including Keystone is a great bluecat fishery. Keystone is so dang full of blues it's hard not to catch a bunch of them. When you know where the fish are it's not problem to catch all the bluecats you want in Keystone. There's still big fish that are taken from Keystone but it's never been know to have regular 60+ pound blues caught either. In fact Oklahoma is looking at passing a law that would limit the amount of large bluecats to be havested. One blue over 30" per day would be the law. I'm all in favor of this and will make our lakes better trophy bluecat lakes. There's tons of blues in the 2 to 6 pound range to harvest...this will just make our state a better fishery. I'm not leaving this state for nothing. There's always lots of good fishing in just about any lake or river in Okla. The laws have been set in place to keep it that way. The method on which a fish is harvested really doesn't matter. Once it's havested it will never reproduce. This is the same whether it's noodled or caught by any other means.