Any news on Santee Cooper Lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Gomer, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Going to try the lower end of marion or moutry this weekend. Have drawn snake OO eyes the last two times out. Just can't seem to get on the bite. Any suggestions would be greatly listend too!! :0a28:

2. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    My wife and I fished out of Angels Landing and caught a few. Biggest was and 18 lb Blue and a 12 lb Blue the rest were 3 to 10 lbs. We used cut Herring. We anchored for a while there was zero wind. We then trolled. We caught more trolling than anchored. I know of a couple of guys out of Angels that was using stink bait and did not catch many.

We caught fish but it was very hot I think Roundhill can attest to that and also zero wind.

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    gomer find you a channel in 25 to 35 ft use cut herring or shad fresh if you can get it drift with the wind about 1/2 mph you can catch them all day long at night they are a little shallow than day an a little bigger.

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks Ron, we are going to give them anouther try this weekend, does adkins have live shiners still? I went to shortstay last sunday and all they had were gold fish, I've never used them before so i don't know if they are as good cutbait as hering or not?

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just got back from Marion for the week and did okay but nothing major. Never had good fishing conditions but when I did get to fish we cught alot of blues in the 6#-20# range using filleted perch and bream heads. The wind was usually to heavy to fish the lake and too many boats pleasure riding during the day in the creeks. I did manage a few good drifts in potato creek with some good flatheads bites and a few decent blues. I only managed 2 flatties all week 1 4# on cut perch and 1 20# on live bream and he was the hardest fighting flathead I have ever had. I loved it cause I thought I finnally had that 50lber but he just had a 50lbers heart not the body. I learned alot about drifting this week and I think it is the way to go if I can figure out how to keep from getting hung up so much I know there is a secret.

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Ron I owe you a dinner the next time you come down. I used your advice on drifting the channels around both sides of ponaplis point with no luck. But the 4 boats drifting around me weren't doing any thing either. I moved out in front of the locks just at daylight and caut the only fish of the day a 49lb blue my bigest on a rod to date. So many thanks for the advice and I still owe you dinner. Just give me a holler when you're coming down.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Had an interesting trip myself.Went down Thurs and sat in the shade all day with the intent of night fishing which I did.Went to a spot that my son and I had caught some nice flatheads drifting on the upper lake.There is a channel with two nice humps leading to shallow water.The channel is about 24ft and the humps top at 13-14 ft.Anchored between the humps with one side facing the channel and tossed 3 rods into the channel and 3 towards the shallows.About 10pm deep rod went with a classic flathead bite,which turned out to be a 27 lb flathead.Good fight,good net job by me even though the net was in the back of the boat.The white perch was still alive so I threw it back out and sat down in my chair.Dozed of and at 11pm heard this ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ of the drag on the same rod.I use PENN 7500 spinners with the drag pretty much screwed down so I knew it was big.Picked up rod grab handle and the line is still going out like crazy.There is a pontoon fishing about 50-60 mtrs from me and the fish comes up to the surface with a HUGE splash almost next to thier boat.I though damm it its a huge gar.Start cranking on the fish and it wallows again which has the undivided attention of the guys on the pontoon.Suddenly the line goes slack and I think well at least the gar got off and start reeling the line in real fast.Next thing I know the rod is almost jerked out of my hands as the fish goes under the anchor rope like one of those torpedo shots you see in the movies.Not good at all say I to myself because I am now bent over the side trying to get him back on my side of the boat.Finally he comes back ,comes up and sees the boat and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.Gone again.The net is back in the holder at the back of the boat of course.Finally get fish to the side of the boat and pump and lift him to the surface at which time he goes ZZZZZZZZZZ.Finally I take a chance ,put rod in holder and run for the net .Did I say I am POOPED?????:tounge_out:Try netting fish but accidently hit him with net,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ,crap, drop net, pickup rod, get him back to surface,reach for net.BAD move, he takes off again while I'm holding the rod with one hand and the only thing that saves the rod is I fall on it and pin it to the rail ,drop net,reel again,put rod in rod holder and fish swims right into the net.GAME OVER!!!:angry:NOT QUITE.I cant lift him over the side,try and try but cant do it.Finally give up on net handle,grab net like a bag,put feet on side of boat and heave.Fish comes over the side and lands on me as we fall to the floor.Guys on pontoon boat are cheering.Fish and I glare at each other unable to move.Get fish out of net and unhook him.Decide to weigh him but bottoms my 50 lb digital out.Drop fish get Rapala BOCA style that goes to 75lbs.With every once of energy I have left I lift him and it says 62lbs.Put fish down as guys on PT ask how much.Tried to pick up fish to relase him but cant manage it.Finally get on hands and knees slide both arms under him praying he doesnt flip and drive a spine into my chest,and stagger to the side and dump him over with a huge splash.Guys on PT want to know why I released it.I just said in my best John Wayne impersonation that the boat wasnt big enough for the two of us.WHite perch is still alive so I throw him back out and he later catches a 14lb blue.Then the moon came up about 2am and the bite was over.Next night caught 3 more flatheads up to 20lb and an handful of smaller blues.Virtually everything on white perch except one fish on herring.Fun trip but it is hard by yourself particularly anchoring but no effort no reward.:smile2::big_smile:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thats what I am talking about. That made it all worth it. Great story Jim I felt like I was in the boat with you. That perch is about all they wanted this week. Thanks for the story and glad he was released so maybe I can get my picture with him 1 day.

9. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Great job of story telling and congratulations on the fish.

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    That was a super written account of your night Jim. Thanks for sharing with us and thanks even more for releasing the fish to fight again another night!

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great story, Jim; I can picture just what went on. Thanks. :big_smile:

12. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Great story Jim, and thank you for releasing him. By the way if that same perch is still alive, can I borrow him tommorrow night. He sounds pretty tough...I'll give him back to you after I use him

13. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    If that perch is still alive, it's going to need therapy.:big_smile:

14. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jim,
    Great fish , Outstanding story, Your going to have a hard time topping that one.:big_smile:

15. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Great job Jim, sounded just like one from the American Sportsman with Curt Goudy nararating wished I could have been there to laugh while watching it. GREAT STORY and GOOD RELEASE!!!