Any natural gas experts aboard?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Ol Man, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have about 3-4 feet of flexible natural gas line running overhead from the house to the shop. Over this past winter, several chunks of the yellow coating has peeled off leaving the metal exposed. Is that something I should be concerned about?:confused2:

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Its not TOO big of a deal, but with a hole in the coating, that'll hold moisture underneath and cause more corrosion you cant see. I would probably replace it, but its not going to go bad overnight.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would use steel pipe and put a good coat of paint on. Use an insulated union at each end to keep stray currents from causing corrosion. The utility company i work for does natural gas (customer or plumber does connection at meter). All our lines underground are either plastic, coated steel or protected by cathodic annodes. Our metersets are steel, and we just like to keep them painted. The meterset has an insulated union to keep stray currents from the customer's house from corroding our pipe in the ground.
    I didn't think the flexible pipe was supposed to be used outside, but i could be wrong on that (and codes vary from state to state).

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Some outfits sell flexable stainless with like a stainles braid over it. Lowes has it,,, I think it was designed for damp basements. It would work great outside.

Good old stainless,,, won't rust, bust or collect dust. lol

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeb, I'm with Jim. Get you a piece of the stainless steel tubing used to hook up appliances. Sounds like you have some old tubing like we have at the farm on the water heater and and furnace. Probably the sun has got to the coating on your tubing.

I used the SS tubing on our last clothes drier.

I hope the last ice storm didn't tear down our gas line at the farm where it crosses the creek. Going to have to get up there and check it out.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not all that familiar with metal types by sight. A heating fellow installed it for me a few years ago. The access is a little to small for me. I'll have something done about it come warmer weather. I just don't want to take chances till then.