Any Montanans Here?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MONTANA TALK' started by moe1980, May 25, 2007.

1. moe1980

moe1980 New Member

State:
    Montana
    I Live in Billings Mt. and am having hell on earth trying to land a single catfish. Seems like im alone in this cuz no other members are from my immediate area so if anyone is from the area let me know and we can go fishing and share some ideas and a fishing hole. Thanks.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Melanie,

Welcome to the BOC, we have some Montana members here, but they appear in intermittent schedules.

Grab some live fresh bait, hit that bank, and let us know, I am sure you will do good!

Paul

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You live in God's Country with all those beautiful snowcapped Mountains. I have an Aunt that has lived in Billings practically all her adult life, Used to go out there on the train when I was little as she was married to my Mother's older brother.He has since passed away so it's been years since I was out there but I know and remember it's beauty.Please have a wonderfyl day!!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think there are supposed to be some cats in the Yellowstone, and I would be very surprised if there weren't quite a few in Ft. Peck Res. While I never tried to catch any catfish when I was stationed there, I remember fishing the dam near the Gates of the Mountain, looking down the downstream side, and seeing dozens of very large fish right up against the dam. They were too big for trout; maybe they were carp.....or catfish.

6. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I used to live 100 miles due east (Forsythe) of you when i was younger. Still have alot of family there as well as billings. The yellowstone has some nice cats in i think the biggest i caught was around 7 or 8 lbs. It is not a big catfish state like in the south but i remember my dad and grandpa used to catch alot out of the yellowstone and the porcupine down by forsythe. Sorry i didnt catch this post earlier. PM me if you have any questions. Welcome to the BOC Shawn

7. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    My Dad usually spends a few months a year in Big Timber and I know he fishes a good bit but I've never heard him mention catfish. Are they abundent throughout the state or just in certian areas?

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Not all over the state. Montana is mainly known for the trout fishing. When it comes to fishing cat are mainly caught in the eastern half of the state. You have to get away from the mountains a ways.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I found some good sized carp in the Missouri at Great Falls, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that there are channel cats there too, although I never saw any.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm from Billings, Born and raised there until my 23rd birthday. I used to catch quite a few channels out of the Yellowstone. I would fish under the bridge that goes into Lockwood from the Metra. Funny thing about fishing there, you could catch just about anything. I remember catching bull heads, carp, suckers, channels, brown trout and even the occasional rainbow!! I had even heard that you could try snaggin spoonbill out of there as well. Don't know about that but I had heard it.

I even remember when I was in highschool going to the Yellowstone there in Huntley and catching channel cats, we even caught those darn Ling, talk about an ugly fish!!

PM me if you have any other questions and I will be more than happy to give you some ideas!

11. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
  12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i dunno if i can give ya advice cept get some fresh bait and give it time, i had to wait 12 years of fishin for my first flathead, the whole time almost every river fishin trip i would go on someone i was fishin with or someone i was fishin around cought a good sized flattie. finally cought my first, 2.5 pounds(MONSTER!) but im hooked and im cravin a 20+pounder, and after that i can feel somethin bigger. so good luck and head out every chance you get. hope to make it out west sometime in the next 5 years or so and go on an elk hunt in montana, i love the pictures i see on tv and in magizines. one of my goals is to kill an elk with my muzzleloader by the time im 21.

13. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used to live in Sidney, and fished the Yellowstone from the Missouri to Glendive. The beuty of Montana is that you have access to the river at any and all points. The best places I found where I used to fish was at the MDU power plant east of Sidney, Seven Sisters east of Crane, and Intake for the Lower Yellowstone Irragation Project north of Glendive. I had great luck with set lines during summer and fall. In the spring I jumped from spot to spot due to the changing water levels. Early may belongs to Padfdle Fish snaggers and if you can dodge those guys good luck! The June rise is great, the water is high, fast , and cold. Ripples and back currents along the islands hold the big ones and then seem to disapeer after June rise.

I hope this helps. I miss that country!