Any MD Catfisherman out there

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by MrFlathead, Aug 8, 2008.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Any MD fisherman that dont cut the gills of catfish and release them to die? If so I have a good place to inform you of. Nice Channels and my favorite FLATHEADS although they consider them an invasive species here I grew up cathing them and love to eat them.

2. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Why would people do that? I fish below the Conowingo dam for channels.
    Never saw anyone doing this or I may have been arrested for puting my boot up their arse :angry:

3. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I think that is a disgusting practice - cutting the gills and just letting them die. If you're gonna kill them anyway, don't waste them at least eat them - they are rather tasty! I practice catch and release and fish the Potomac River now (in the area from the Wilson Bridge to just below Possum Point)since I live in Alexandria.

4. MDBuckeye

MDBuckeye New Member

State:
    From Ohio in Maryland now
    People actually do that?

I am new here and am going to target catfish mainly on the Potomac but probably some up on the Susquehanna as well.

Since I am new I thought I would tell you all a little about myself. I am 35 and have fished for a lot of different species in fresh and saltwater. I grew up in Ohio fishing in ponds, reservoirs, rivers, and Erie for everything from bluegill, cats, bass, walleye... I moved to Utah for 3 years and learned to flyfish for trout which was fun and challenging. My wife moved us back to Maryland, which is where she is from, and I have fished both salt and freshwater for the last 9 years here in Maryland. I haven't targeted catfish in the time period very often but really want to learn how to catch some of the big fish down on the Potomac.

So far, in the last week, I have read a lot of different articles here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people from Maryland on this site but I have seen a few from VA here. I am looking forward to learning about catfishing here and can't wait to hook into my first Blue down on the Potomac.

By the way I have a 15ft jon boat with a 8hp 4 stroke motor on it. Should that be enough to get out on the Potomac for cats?

Thanks
    Tight Lines
    Jason

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Be careful on the lower potomac with a boat that small alot of pleasure boats who like to drive by you at about 40mph and about 10ft from you. You can fish it with a 15 fter just be careful and mindful of the wind 15 to 25 mph gust there get dreadful.

6. MDBuckeye

MDBuckeye New Member

State:
    From Ohio in Maryland now
    Well we got out on the evening of the 24th and most of the pleasure boaters were already off of the water. We did take a small wave over the bow by a guy that was running his 50+ footer to close to us.

We caught about 20 fish up to 10 lbs. but the grass was terrible. We stayed on the water until 2am or so until we got tired of dealing with the grass. We may take a break from the Potomac and fish somewhere else for cats.

Anyone have ideas locally?