Any luck using goldfish for catfish bait in the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by los, Dec 7, 2008.

1. los

los New Member

State:
    Mt. vernon, IN
    anyone have luck with goldfish in the Ohio or wabash river?

2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Well I'm not from your area but goldfish works really good here on the Colorado river in Arizona. I got my pb flathead on one in fact. The bigger the better bait for flats. We use to be able to get waterdogs here also but haven't been able to get them for some time now. Tight lines.

:cool2:

3. los

los New Member

State:
    Mt. vernon, IN
    whay is a waterdog?

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had pretty good luck on the Ohio here with Goldfish and israeli carp. Usually catch Flatties and channels with them. I like the israelis better, try them if you can get them.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Down here is Texas we use them and have caught some pretty good fish on them but the only time we do use them is when other bait is hard to get. Perch, mudcat, carp ect. are first. The gold fish down here are 4.50 a dozen for 2.5" and under and the bigger ones cost more.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Carlos,
    Goldfish make good bait but at this time of year I believe fresh cutbait, shad or skipjack would be more effective around here...W

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fish the Ohio in the Cincinnati area, and honestly have never caught a fish on a goldfish. I have used them, but they never worked for me.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    waterdog/mudpuppy = an aquatic salamander. it's head resembles a flathead, has 4 legs and a bullhead like tail. it has red gills that flower out when in the water. unmistakeable if you ever seen one. they make great flathead bait. most of the ones I've caught around here were almost black.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudpuppy

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goldfish are good bait.But yea,I only use them when I can't collect my own wild bait(Suckers,Gills,Drum,Carp,Shad,Bullheads,Bass,Chubs,Rockbass,Big Shiners etc):wink: