Any luck on the miss this weekend?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by darton2, Sep 21, 2009.

1. darton2

darton2 New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    Boy its been tough slugging for me and my brother. We just picked up this up about a month ago and not doing too stellar.

We have managed to pull in one nice flathead (21lbs), and some channels but thats after many logged hours. I am not sure if the bite is off this past couple weeks or we are just doing something wrong. At first the river was really high, but now its down to really low levels and still not getting on the fish.

Most of the time we are hitting behind the dikes and fishing the edge of the deep. The only other thing is we do not have a depth finder just yet as the old one shot craps and not sure how bad thats hurting us. We have used bluegill, goldfish, worms, and cutbait. And believe it or not the big flathead we caught on a nightcrawler.

I was just curious if anyone was having luck on the mississippi around st. louis the past weekend and any advice you have when looking for a spot to drop lines.

Thanks

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Haven't been on the river in what feels like a month of sundays....not sure what's going on out there these days:sad2:

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Small fish are easy to come by the larger ones.... well that's a different story!:smile2:

4. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I was out Saturday with a guy from IL he knew the river quite well. Got into a few fish.:wink::wink: He taught me a few things and was good company. The only tips i can give you is get with someone that knows the river. And if a spot is not producing in 20 min move to the next. This is my first year fishing the Mississippi sorry i cant be more help.

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    The bite has not been all that good up here on Pool #25 for the last two or three weeks. the cold fronts and changing water levels have made for poor fishing. This week could be good, the pool is stable and the higher temps and low pressure front could make for a good week. If possible I'm going to give it a try Friday.

6. darton2

darton2 New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    Well, that makes me feel a little better. I am fishing pools areas 17-19, but just started about a month ago. Its been tough slugging for my brother, cousin, and I. But we are learning. Man I hate saying that, we have worn that sentence out! Its gotta get better for us!

We are having fun though, Friday night we had to break about 2 in the morn build a fire and cook a buffalo we caught in the cast net. If I could of only had a video of that!
    :big_smile: