Any luck near Winfield?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by catman73, Jul 16, 2008.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I was just wondering if anyone has been having any luck anywhere near Winfield lately. I am heading down there a week from Monday and will be there the whole week. Gonna try to get some fishing in while I am there.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good luck Darrin. Pull some big flatheads outta there. :big_smile:

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't been on the walnut in winfield in a while. Ever since it flooded and destroyed the ramp. I have been down to ark. city though. Caught a few smaller flatheads. Since then the river has been slowing down quite a bit according to the usgs website. In fact it is as slow as its been since about feb.

4. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I havent been down there in quite a while. I want to try the dam at some point and I also go to Wellington lake with a buddy whenever I go down there. Its Phlips4bigcats dad. We usually catch something over there. But I was really wanting to fish the walnut.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have hit the Walnut a few times this year. Not as much as I want to( Gas SUCKS!) I pulled a 24 out of it this year, earlier in the spring. If you want to meet up let me know when you are fishin and I might be able to make it down there.

6. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    My son and I have been catching them up to about 10 pounds for the past couple weeks. Some channel and some flat. We have been fishing north of the fair grounds. good Luck

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did they ever get that ramp fixed? I haven't been down there since they had that storm with 100 mph winds that tore up the town. I have been down to the Ark. City ramp a few times though. Before that storm, I had been down there just about every weekend since mid Feb. just trying to learn that stretch of water, from the dam to about 4 or 5 miles upstream of the ramp. I'd love to be able to get on that stretch again, I liked fishing that part of the river. I have been keeping tabs on the USGS website for it. That water's hardly been moving for about 2 weeks now.

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I was there a few weeks ago. You could see the concrete but the ramp was about 3 feet narrower. Two hours with a scoop shovel and you will be set, until the next flood.:wink::smile2: I doubt they think enough people use it to justify clearing it. If they charger $ that would be different. Id call the city maintenece building and see what they say.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    They do charge money to camp in there... I know, I've paid. It isn't terribly cheap either. If I remember right it was about $30 for 2 or three nights. I didn't care too much to pay it, but still they get money from the park. You know as well as I do that there are ALWAYS a hand full of RV's down there. I bet that water was REAL low when you were down there, Kyle. I've been keeping my eye on water levels and its been lower than it was when I was fishing it in mid Feb, I still can't believe it. Early July it was flowing at about 6K cfs for about a week straight and before that it really didn't get less than 1k, then all of a sudden its been around like 250 cfs for a while.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Huh? I only paid 3 bucks for primitive. It was runnin a little over 5k when I went. They need to redo the ramp but that will mean more boats on the water. Id seriously take a shovel and just carve enough out to fit your tires. Cant beat bein the only boat on the river. I dont have a 4x4 so to me the ramp is useless. If I ever use it is will just carry the boat.:smile2: