Any "Life Listers" out there?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Salmonid, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Anyone else out there trying to add as many species with the fly rod as they can? Im the local expert on a lot of species because when I find one to be caught, I do all sorts of homework on the species and then drive all over sam hell to find them and then try to catch them. I have a few good contacts within the state agencies ( DNR, EPA) who help me locate small populations of where these fish are located.

With that Im up to about 45 species of freshwater fish, ( Id have to check the list and see for sure) but have a few nemesis species that I have been trying for a few years to get and still havent been able to land one, those are Musky, Flathead, Bowfin and Chain Pickerel, all are available in Ohio but not in my general area so they all require a 3 hr drive to get them, earlier this week I tried 2 spots and failed at both the bowfin and Chain Pickerel and late next month I have a Muskie trip and Flathead trip lined up to specifically target these species. Wish me luck eh?

By the way, they only count if caught in a public area and are listed as a true species, ( not hybrids unless they are listed as state recordable like the Hybrid Striper, saugeye, etc)

Anyone else out there as crazy as I am?

2. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I try and catch as many species as possible on the fly rod, but frequently fish conventional tackle when I trying to catch anything of size. I think I've caught about 20 species on the fly, but usually only target trout and bass.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nate, that is cool, what species is still out there that haunts you at night???:wink:

Salmonid

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I mostly only flyfish for trout but I picked up an 8wt rod last year to fish a pond that loaded with bass n northerns right behind my house. I do like to panfish with tiny flies using my 2wt rod I built though.