Any Kentuckians Have Indian Blood?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by festus, Nov 29, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I used to do a lot of genealogy research, but have pretty much given it up of late. My dad grew up on the Big South Fork in southern KY. Most everyone in the area has some Cherokee or Shawnee Indian in them.

So, I was just wondering, you can check out this website, and who knows, you may find a family link in there. http://home.fuse.net/genealogy/cornblossom.html
    Once you open the page, just search for your surname, it could be there.

According to this website, my paternal grandmother was a great, great, great, great, great, great granddaughter of Chief Doublehead. I take it with a grain of salt, no one has ever proved this, and no one has ever proven it false. However, you could tell my grandmother was part Indian by her looks.

2. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well i'm originally from Tennessee but I have some indian blood in me.

3. festus

festus New Member

What part, Billy? I'm sure most everyone from TN has some Indian blood. My mother was from Morgan County, TN. Her father supposedly had a great grandfather who was Cherokee who escaped from the Trail of Tears and hid for a while and took an English surname HICKS. Of course, I don't really put much stock in this theory, either.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    looking back down my family tree, my great great grand mother was a full blooded Cherokee if my memory serves me correctly. however my grandfather and his family were from Virginia originally.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Seems as though I heard my grandmother say that my granddad was part Indian . From his facial features I could believe it and he had very little facial hair.

6. festus

festus New Member

I have another photo of my grandmother when she was older if I can find it. It's a portrait, and you can see the Indian features much better.

This is her and my dad standing on the river bank. It had to be made about 1930, because she appears to be in an early pregnancy, and she had a daughter in March 1931.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great,Great grandmother . But I bet I have some apache LOL . I grow a little pache hair here and pache hair there !

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Yea I do. Mohawk

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My family on my fathers side supposedly was 1/8 indian. Not sure how much of it to believe. I did hear that my great, great, great, great grandfather was named " Chief Catchabrute".....lol:wink:

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hey my grandma on fathers side looked pure indian i think i'm 1/4 or so :big_smile: i could be part flathead

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    chief "downwindbad" LOL

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i use to work with a guy that claimed to be 1/2 indian and 3/4 hillbilly. :big_smile::cool2:

13. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I traced some of my roots and have Indian, German, Dutch, Scotch, Welsh, Irish, British, French, Melungeon, Portuguese, but I'm still 99% hillbilly.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My mother was of English decent. Grandmother on dads side was of Irish decent, And grandpa on dads side is where there is a possibility of some Indian blood running through my veins.

15. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, some of the southern Kentuckians with your surname have some Indian blood, but they get it through the Winchester family. My grandpa on my dad's side from KY was of English descent, his wife was of Scotch and Indian. My grandpa on my mother's side was from TN, Welsh and Irish descent. Then his wife was of German, Dutch, and Scotch-Irish descent. Most of the folks in the county I reside have lots of German in them. The French and Portuguese also come from my paternal grandmother, if my sources are correct.