Any kayakers out there using fishfinders?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am thinking about purchasing either a Humminbird 215 or 220 for mounting in my Heritage Redfish 12' SOT. A lot of kayakers have equiped their yaks for electronics; in fact, the Redfish has a "console" for mounting a fishfinder!

I would epoxy the transducer in the bottom of the hull for a through-hull application. I have to since I sit my kayak on stumps at times fishing structure.

Humminbird claims that the temperature sensor would not work this way, but I'm not sure why. It might not be as accurate, but the reading would be within a fixed offset, I would think.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Joel:

I actually use a Fishin Buddy on mine. Not the greatest, but very simple!

3. Claude

Claude New Member

State:
    Georgia
  4. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I asked a bunch of kayakers this same question, and here are the answers I got...

1. The Humminbird fish finders are great for use on a kayak. The lower priced models are popular with kayakers because they are compact and do their job well. Besides, why install a $1,500 side-scan sonar on a $800 boat? :big_smile:

2. The in-hull mounting of the transducer works well. Just be careful of trapped air in the epoxy bond...also watch out for trapped air in the hull.

3. Temperature reading through the hull works well. Because the hull is thin plastic instead of thick aluminum or fiberglass, the temperature sensor works well.

By the way, you might want to check out the Humminbird 215...there is a rebate being offered right now that drops the price down to around $75; not a bad price for a dual-beam sonar system! You'll find this good deal at B@$$Pr0... online.

5. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    That is an outstanding link, Claude. I thought it was interesting though, that they are using Goop! The installation instructions for the Humminbird warn you to use two-part epoxy only.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    lots of our members use transducers mounted with Goop. They work fine, don't think the temp would be very accurate tho due to the heat build-up inside the kayak transmitting to the hull temp. Most kayak fishing down here is done in very shallow water (less than 6 feet) so a hand held temp device would work well. I have a Humminbird 300 black and white that works great and I have a 7 amp hour alarm battery from radio shack that will run it several days without a recharge. jaxkayakfishing.com has lots of info in the forum titled "Kayak rigging". on everything you might want to add to your yak..I do fish waters up to 60 feet deep on occasion so the finder is very helpful there.

7. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
  8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    i use a Humminbird 215 piranha max portable. 4 level grayscale, dual beam, water temp and many others. it was pretty cheap bout 200 bucks. Runs on batteries and has a suction cup transducer. works great. Structure ID, inverse, whiteline, Black and advanced fish ID.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought a very cheap hand held and I havnt gotta use it yet but I bought it for my canoe....NEXT YEAR