Any Jugg Fishermen???

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by sadam, Mar 15, 2008.

1. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wondering if any Iowans are big jug fishermen..

2. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like to jug fish, like to let them drift down the deep holes and have a good spread across the river. Use live bait and crawers, stink bait just about anything you normally use. It does get fun when they get hoohed.

3. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    no but it sounds fun how do you rig it up

4. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I always jug fish farm ponds because I don't have to follow the law and set about 30 jugs out. By law you are only supposed to have two jugs per person and supervise them at all times. But anyway I prefer to use 2 liter pop bottles and I fill them 1/3 full with sand not only to keep them from floating around so much but when a fish is hooked or the jug gets a hit all the sand falls to the neck of the bottle and the jug "flags" or stands straight up rather than laying on its side. It is a great way to know when you have a fish on. I also screw the cap on with caulking to make sure water is kept out of the jug. Another thing I like to do is spray paint my jugs a bright orange so when they are on the water I can shine them with a spot light and see how many are flagged and whether or not I need to go out and check them. The fish in my profile picture is a 30 pound flat head I caught last year in a farm pond in S.E. Iowa. We let it go after we took a few pictures of it so hopefully we'll catch it again this summer. If you havn't jug fished yet before I hope you go it is boat loads of fun and is so simple. Also if you have any kids take them because my best memories growing up are jug fishing with my dad. We did all sorts of fishing but I liked jug fishing with my dad best. Hope some of that info helps you out.

PS-I use chicken liver for channel cats and live blue gills for flat heads. Although last year we caught a lot of flat heads on chicken liver which floored me because they prefer the live blue gill. Also I only use one hook per jug but some people like to use multiple hooks per jug. If your going to do it legally and only set out a few jugs that is probably the smart way to go so you have more bait in the area for the fish.

5. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    Ya I like to jug fish on the DM river in Des Moines.When the water is up high anuff you can get back in to Hallet graval.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont jug fish personally I know alot of people around here that jug fish and catch alot of cats