Any James River Reports?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gottafish, Aug 16, 2005.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm heading to Hopewell saturday night. Could use a current catch report. Are they on the flats or deep in the holes this time of year?

Just finished building a 7' e-glass rod with a spiral wrap and mated it with a Penn International 975cs. Man is it SWEET! Hopefully I'll break it in and boat a HAWG!!

/Scott

2. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Good question. :confused: lol! I went downriver below Jordan Point last weekend and did ok. Lots of 5-10lbrs to keep us occupied and ended the night with 2 big gar and a 46.10 cat. Used the ole 1 hour/then move technique trying to find em. Water temps were up last week, but all this rain may bring it down some and get the fish more active. I'm looking at hitting it saturday myself if work permits.

3. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Here is the Richmond Times Dispatch report for 19 August
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...age/RTD_SectionFront&c=Page&cid=1058750352660

and I quote
    "Mike Ostrander of the James River Fishing School, (804) 938-2350, reported the following catches: Matt Seay and Patrick Carroll , both of Richmond, caught and released 23 flathead catfish ranging from 12 to 24 pounds just above the Pony Pasture.

Chris Eberwein of Eberwein's Catfishing, (804) 449-6134, reported the following blue catfish catch and releases upriver from the Dutch Gap area: Kenn Keesecker , 30, 31, 35, 41, 44, 53, 56 pounds; Jacob Conley , 35; Dan Foxx , 32, 37, 40, 41, 54; Chris Ellis , 38; Richard Goodwin , 33; Charles Estelle , 55; Clarence Catlett , 33; Joe Mitchell , 41; L.A. Roberts , 40; Tommy Southworth , 41.

Captain Chris Harris of Got The Blues Guide Service, (804) 314-9629, reported the following blue catfish citations from the past week: Mike Sherman , 30, 35, 37, 44, and 45 pounds; Slava Zagaronski , 30, 35, 65; Richard Lewis , 30, 39, 41, 52, 53."

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Kayakgeek, It looks like the bite's been pretty good. Thanks for that report.

Have you floated for flatties around Richmond in the past? I'm assuming you're yaking it?

I'm in the process now of rigging my T120 and and real interested in floating for cats myself sometime before the year's out.

Interested in getting together one weekend? Yakin's always better in pairs! :D

/Scott

5. fishman65

fishman65 New Member

Went out around deep bottom last night with no luck may head to tar bay tonight if I can stomach the gas price to get out there or the 8$ launch fee ...hehe.