Any info on the cheap Walmart Rod Holder?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by baptistpreach, Aug 9, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have seen these for $3 or $4, they mount on a boat, and the mounting setup looks cheap, but do they hold or are they wasted money?

2. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I bought a couple of the bank holders from there. The only problem I had was the "lead" bolts that came with them. Not too long after I got them the bolts stripped out. Easy fix though, new nuts and bolt from the garage:wink:

3. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    dont waste your money!! i bought some lasted about an hour til i lost 150$ rig. better off spending a little money.

4. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went into wal-mart and saw the kind you stick right into the ground. Man that is a rip off. I went straight to work the next night got a peice of pipe for shaping, a torch and peice of all thread. A couple of hours later I had six rough-n-ready bank rod holders. I put two wraps of electrical tape on the end where the rod goes and shazzaam. I have used them every time since without a hitch.

5. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if you have the capability there are some good recipes for rod holder in the member library too.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'm sure somebody, somewhere loves them hehe. I wouldn't take the chance personally.. They looked pretty chincy to me and I wouldn't wanna risk my Rod/Reel/possible big fish on one... BOC Library has several really good designs that can be made with very little $$ and a little effort. I would trust them over those walmart holders.. --Just my penny and a half.....

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If its the ones Im thinking of save your money, I couldnt even get them to sit right in a little jon boat I have.

8. catfisher50

catfisher50 New Member

State:
    minn
    dont wast your money on walmart rod holders. if you have a scheels sporting goods store thay have a good one for shore fishing that you put in the ground. cost 15.00 or 16.00 dollars i love mine.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well im not sure about the boat rod holders. But the ones that you stick in the ground arent that great they bend real easily those been the Eagle Claw ones.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I got some at Bass pro they are nothing but junk

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout the ones that you put in a boat but they had the ones that stick in the ground on sale for 2 dollars so i bought 4 of them.had to weld some metal strips on the back to keep them from bending under the weight of the poles.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Junk. The bolts don't hold well and strip easily.

13. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you have the tools, just buy the steel and weld em up, just as cheap and ten times stronger

14. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah those ones that stick int he ground are junk, The bend The wouldn't hold my rod. And its only a 9 footer Thumbs down i say

15. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you get to it?

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  17. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i made a bar over the engine that holds 4 rods. the holders are from walmart but they are the big ones that adjust and are heavy duty think they was 13 bucks a piece they was in the boating section not the fishing. they work great. flip to any angle and are tuff. got a pole hung while practicing drifting alone and broke 30 pound line with the pole in the holder and the holder never budged.