any ideas???

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by River_monster91, Nov 14, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    got 3 of my conibears on a creek and baited em with half a rabbit. went out this morning and checked em and all three conibears had been half pulled out of the box and the rabbits were all gone. id imagine a coon probally moved the trap and stole my bait. i think im going to wire the end of the spring to the trap. anyone got any better ideas???:cool2:

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I would have to see your set-up to help you in any way. What Box are you talking about? I normally set my conibears along a path of travel and do not bait them. Usually my set-up consist of a rod drove into the ground for anchoring. I then run stakes thru the end of the springs and rig them where the trap sets a lnch or so off the ground. Then place sticks along the sides to keep the animal from going around the trap.

Not to sure about what you are talking about as far as a box goes. If you are trapping coons, then you can wrap aluminum foil around the trigger wires before seting the trap. Coons tend to love shinny objects!

3. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    some pics i found on the net of the same way i use my conies
    this aint the same size box i use but its the same setup put the bait at the closed end of the box, set your trap in it and let the coon get caught.

Attached Files:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'd try pushing the springs up or down so the trap is in their tighter. If that dont work just run 2 pieces of rebar through the springs. Where your traps snapped?

5. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    no they were snapped. they were still in the slot but the coon moved one side out just enuff to get the bait outa there.

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    the trap needs to be secured in the box. I run sticks through the springs and into the ground to give it support.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    IMHO 1/2 a rabbit is way too much bait.
    You only need scent so Mr coon will go into the box to TRY to find it. Try fish oil or cat food. I know of guys that scatter dry dog food in front of buckets with some inside. I like to smear the bottom of my buckets with bait so the scent disperses better.Freshen the bait every other day or so.
    You've had some pretty good advice. Go get em
    just