Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JPritch, Sep 29, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I just got my boat back from the shop, where they had to drain my entire tank b/c of water in it. While they had it, I had them service it, and they replaced the fuel filter, fuel/water separator, spark plugs, impeller, oil filter, and oil and gear lube change.

Took my boat back out this past weekend for the first time, and a new problem arose. When at WOT, early in the trip, the RPM's would start jumping hi/lo hi/lo, like a vroom vroom. Then as the trip went on, the problem got worse and it started doing it at lower RPM's and more often, to the breaking point where it would do it at idle and eventually the motor wouldn't start. I had to get towed in. I noticed two things. One - before the engine would start reving up and down, the pee stream would get weak. Two - I dumped my fuel cup and fuel/water separator in case water was the problem again. After I got everything hooked back up, there was no pressure in my fuel system. I pumped the bulb to fill my fuel cup back up, but nothing happened. And if my engine did start for a few seconds before cutting off, no fuel made it from the tank to the cup. Not sure if these two things are causes, or just symptoms of the true problem.

I appreciate you guys' insight. It's going back to a different shop this time, b/c I never had this problem until they worked on it. But I would like to get an idea of what the problem may be.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I guess this would help: it's an 06 Yamaha F60TLR (4 stroke).

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    sounds like a bad bulb or a bad gas cap like it is loosing its vacuum

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a fuel problem-the revving part is the motor leaning out when the fuel supply's cut off.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would take it back to them and tell them to complete their work the right way, obviously they didn't hold up on there end of the deal.:confused2:

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I had a very similar problem with my Suzuki. When they they put it all back together they pinched the fuel line in the lower cowl cover.
    I'm not familiar with Yammys but it might be worth a look.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    either that or some dirt got dislodged while working on it and is plugging up something.

8. Tight Line

Tight Line New Member

State:
    IL
    Joshua,
    When you goback to these guy's make sure they clean your carbs, may have something in your main jet, or air jet passages. Also ask them if they pumped the old fuel out of the tank or did they remove the tank and empty it? may have some debri that stayed in the tank if they pumped it out, and the screen in the tank gets clogged up.

tight line