Any ideas on the weight of my blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Gary S., May 27, 2006.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey fellas,
    I've just realized after reading another post, that a blue I caught several yrs ago might have been way bigger than the (inadequate) scale we used said he was. I can't come up with the pictures for the life of me, but I do remember he was 47 1/2" long and was PLENTY fat. I had memorized all the measurements at one time but have now forgotten all but the overall length.

Anyway... what have some of y'alls fish weighed when the overall was around 48"? The only scale we could produce said the fish weighed 43lbs. But, the scale was a 30lb scale and it went all the way around and back to 13. I know that when a scale reaches its max. weight anything after that is way off---I just don't know how far off it could have been.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Without knowing the measurements and the time of year it would be a hard guess, but I would venture to say somewhere between 50 and 60 lbs. this is not an absolute, but a guess. I could be way off or right on it, who knows, LOL!!!

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Dread! It was in Feb. I know I didn't give much to go on, but thought I'd throw it out there for y'all to guess at.

4. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cool Thanks! I'm really sick about not eing able to find those pics---lesson learned!

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    about 2 months ago I caught a blue that was 39 inches long and weighted 32.5 #

It was a fat fish so if your fish was fat id say it was 50ish.

6. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey brother, by all fishermans standards, if you caught it years ago, It should weigh more now than it did then........... :lol: .....

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I caught one that was 48" last year and he weighed 56 lbs. Weights will vary some depending on the waters you fish. Here on the Mississippi a fish between 46-48 inches will be 50 - 56 lbs (although there can be exceptions). Mid-50's would be a good estimate for your fish, I imagine.

8. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks fellas! Now that we have a digital camera, I won't be losing anymore pics.

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    my body just caught one last week that was 49 inches long and 33 inch girth the scale said 67 lbs

10. deerdust

deerdust New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We caught one last week that was 40" long and weighed in at 27 lbs.

11. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my personal best is a 47", 47 lbs blue. It was a leaner fish (im guessing probably a younger fish) So if yours was fat, im also gonna say around the mid 50's, give or take a few pounds.

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    My guess would be right at 55lbs. I caught a 62 1/2 pound blue last June that was 52 1/2 inches long.

13. greenlegs

greenlegs New Member

I'm with Dragger.

14. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm gettin a real scale and takin the digital with me everytime I go out lookin for a biggun.