Any Ideas On Beef Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by oh no, Feb 7, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have try-ed beef before as a bait and never had any luck with it. We have a bunch in the freezer from butchering over the years. Can a person juice it up with garlic powder or anything to make it good?

Has anybody used beef liver and had any luck with it?

:canny::beat_shot::dribble:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Flower it up. Cook it in butter with a ton of onions. And don't forget the mashed taters. LOL!

Have never heard much good about beef liver. That and hearts.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've never had much luck with 'em & I believe it's because they aren't as bloody as chicken livers nor do they possess the same amino acids that the chicken livers do; which is the main attractant IMO.

Soaking them in garlic salt will do 2 things, toughen them & give them an additional odor for attractant.

I have found that using Sea salt or Kosher salt makes them tougher when used for the brining. HTH, Elliot

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have fished with them before, but haven't caught anything on them. I don't know if they can be doctored up or not. You could always try to add some garlic and or onoins and put them in a bucket to age a bit. Give it a try and if that don't work just throw them away or try it for chum.:crazy:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    They are tougher than chicken livers, but I haven't caught much on them either. I only used them if I have no other bait available.

A friend of mine swears by beef spleen.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm with BG, smother them in onions and enjoy!! Waste of time to fish with.

7. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have not had much luck with beef or chicken livers but have caught some nice channels on turkey livers

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NEVER HAD ANY LUCK

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Any kind of flavor, garlic, salt, vanilla, anise, etc. has got to help, because, IMO, beef liver is the least likely of any type of liver to attract catfish. I've fished beef liver, pork liver, and raw chicken liver side by side, and did pretty decent on the chicken liver, fair on the pork, and almost nothing on the beef.

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I haven't done this for along time but we used cut them in 1/2" strips and lay them in the sun covered in Brown sugar until they were good and dry.
    Loop

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For whatever reason,the owner is not allowed to sell any kind of organ meat.I will call him and ask for a liver and usually he will tell me to bring a bucket or a pan and also a plastic bag. I go up there and he hands me this huge chunk of liver and the blood is literally pouring off of it. Have I had any luck. Yes!!! I use to say it was my go to bait and when we just moved here to Missouri from Nebraska,the kids and I and daddy were fishing off a wingdike of the Missouri. I baited my hook with that bloody liver and for good measure slid a fat night crawler on the hook also. I set my line and propped my pole up and went to helping my girls with baiting their hooks,Hense I was totally ignoring my own Rig.Man to this day I don't know what it was,but it slammed my pole on the ground with a very loud crack. I grabbed the pole but for the life Of me I couldn't get it turned around. It snapped my line like a twig. Have always wished I could have at least seen what it was!:sad2: Sister Pat

12. striker52

striker52 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've caught a good number of fish on beef liver surprisingly we just let em get nasty in the sun then hook em up, mind you that ive never caught anything record worthy on em but plently of 1-3lbers

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never tried beef liver but chicken livers work pretty good for me.

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    never tried beek liver.I have tried pork hearts though.Works okay.

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Beef liver and onions with mash taters and greens. Bam:smile2:

16. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with alot of the others, good eating but not as :big_smile:good for catching catfish.

17. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    might want to try soaking them in an oilbased stink bait for sometime til the oil absorbed in the liver then try them.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive had plenty of luck with beef liver,plain and with garlic.Ive caught some good size ones with it,i use chicken and beef livers on a regular basis.

19. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Don't know if it works or not i havn't tried it, but a man told me his grandad soaked beef liver in grape soda, said cat's love it.

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Let it sit in the sun before you fish,it will get tough and turn green sometimes.I caught alot of channels with it.