any ideas on alternate methods of bank fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishassassin, Jan 21, 2009.

1. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just started teaching myself how to catfish like 3 years ago, the problem i have is the only method i can fish is bankfishing, or rent a weak canoe at a crappy pay lake, other than buying my own boat, is there any other way to get where the big ones are on lake/river?

2. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes there are. they may require a lot of work and an investment.

i do alot of fishing from a canoe and a kayak. they are fun to fish out of, mobile, and light. you can usually get a good used canoe or kayak from a canoe livery.

another option is using float tubes, or their like.

and if your river isnt to deep and or swift you can always wade fish. i have many fond memories of days spent wading the creek and fishing.

by the way.... welcome to the boc. a ton of great information here as well as a brother/sisterhood of individuals who are willing to help anybody out

3. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    If the places you fish have bridges and ya have access to them set up camp there. More than likely there will be some current going through there and some cats hanging out.

4. Swishersweet

Swishersweet New Member

State:
    Bourbonnais, Illinois
    I'd say do some scouting.

On the river, find catfish habitat. You are going to be looking for deep holes adjacent to underwater shelves and distinct cover such as downed trees or weed beds. You can check the depth with a heavy weight under a slip bobber. Look for shoreline irregularities and creek inlets. Study up on the outside bends which are almost always the deep water. Go panfishing around the edges of the holes and cover to verify a good food source. More panfish usually means more and bigger cats nearby. Generally, if it is easy access don't bother with it, it probably has been fished down. Be prepared to do some hiking for the best spots.

At the pay lake, rent the canoe. Make yourself a redneck depth finder which is a fishing rod with a couple of ounces of weight. Go probing for deep holes or at least the deepest water you can find. Now move straight toward the shore and look for the outside edge of the weed line, usually 15' to 6' deep. Get a good visual of how far out you are from the shore because this is where the hungry cats will be prowling and you'll want to cast just over this edge when you are on the bank. Use large shiners or large minnows and smash one up proper. Back hook it and suspend it under a slip bobber one foot higher than the depth you measured. You should be into a decent cat in short order.

Good fishin'!

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Brandon, Welcome to the BOC.

6. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    if your fishin at night throw some live bluegill about 5-6ft of bank and wait.

7. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon. If you have ANY questions about catfishing you've landed in the right place. Here you'll find the "Best Of The Best" catfishermen on the planet who are more than willing to share their best kept secrets and strategies. Good luck!
    :wink:

8. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Brandon welcome to the BOC!!!!:smile2:

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    big rivers try out side bends

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    In rivers wait for high water its a great equalizer. everything to small to handel the current heads for slack water ie. mouths of creeks cut aways in the banks and the cats will follow looking for food. fish at or near slack water and hold on.