Any Ideas - Lake Norman Big Blue catfish?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by striper, Mar 18, 2006.

1. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I am going to Lake Norman tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me where I might go to find some of the big Blues. Is the upper half better or the lower? What about going up to the mouth of the river. What would be the bait of choce, shad, shiners, etc... I don't have a clue because i don't know the lake. I have a map but just don't know. Any help would be great.

thanks

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Try the river section on the upper end because they should be in there now or soon. Thats where I would start if it were me anyways. Good luck.

3. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thank you... what depth would you try first.. deep than shallow or shallow then deeper. how far up river would you suggest.. any information is very helpful...

thanks

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Try to see where the most are laying on a depthfinder is about the easiest way to find them. If not start shallow and work your way into the deep. Seems they feed better in the shallows but they can still be caught in the deep. I would only fish a spot for 30 minutes if nothing try a different depth. Thats how I've been finding mine over the last few years.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Main channel north of the 150 bridge.

6. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I want to thank you guys for the helpful information. It is greatly appriciated, with being new to North Carolina and the catfish game...