Any hog hunters baiting their traps?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by cro, Apr 29, 2007.

1. cro

cro New Member

State:
    BAYOU STATE
    I am wondering how many trappers we have here? I just started putting out feed near my traps to see how many are close by. I have a camera out to see what is actually showing up. I will post some pics when I go back to check my cameras in a few weeks.

2. cro

cro New Member

State:
    BAYOU STATE
    I trap hogs on my deer lease in central LA. I am looking for other trappers to get tips on building and baiting secrets.

3. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have heard that if u put diesel over the corn hogs will love it. One of my freinds did it and said the hogs wouldn't stop comin.

4. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good to see other hog hunters on the site. Luke Clayton here. Would like you to go to www.catfishgold.com and click on READ LUKE CLAYTON'S WEEKLY NEWSPAPER COLUMN... Also posted right here on the opening page of the BOC. Anyway, I've been developing a hog attractant paste for quiet some time and feel it's very close to being on the market. The stuff works (read this week's column about our hunt/trapping session on the Circle T Ranch in ne Texas near Commerce.
    While there is nothing that works every time in every situation, a good attractant bait definately stacks the odds in the hunter/trappers favor. I have watched this bait stop traveling hogs in their tracks and pull them in for a close shot like they were thethered to a rope.
    More on the bait soon. It should be available comericially by November. We're calling it OLE' LUKES HOG PASTE. It actuallly is a paste with a sour/sweet aroma that hogs love. You "wipe" it on trees about 2 feet up from the ground upwind of where you want to position hogs for the shot. More on it later... Good HOG hunting! luke

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I hog hunt. Lets more about this paste.

6. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    You can put me on the list for wanting to know more about the paste.
    Ed

7. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I trap hogs on my deer lease. I have been throwing out soured corn for about a month in and around my traps to get the hogs coming in and get them comfortable. I'll go back this next weekend to set the triggers on the traps.

8. jpn

jpn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have just started with the hogs. I gotta neighbor that had his garden rooted up this year so we are going on the defense. i don't know anything bout them so i hope to learn a few things. i've shot a few but not any thing big, but that aint what its about. the old folks say that they been round here for as long as they can remember but not this many. so sign me up for some of that luke juice and i'll tell if it works here. THANK YA

9. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, The hog paste (attractant) idea is one I have had in the works for a long time. Hogs depend upon their nose to find food. They can sniff out a dry acorn under a foot of leaves in the fall. This new paste can be smeared on trees, upwind of where you expect to see hogs or on traps. They will usually rub their nose on the paste and sometimes chew on the bark of the tree. It's useful in getting them in position for the shot or attracting them to a trap. I use corn around the paste to keep them interested after they discover there's not enough paste to fill them up! It's sort of like using buck lure for deer, it's an attractant, not really a bait. You only need apply a couple tablespoons full to the tree or post to get the scent in the area. We will be marketing this paste by November but.. We have a limited supply available now (without labels, but it's the same product).. Fire me an email at luke@catfishgold.com and I will be happy to get you more into.. Thanks, Luke

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The best attractant I've found is called Black Gold. It comes in a bottle that looks like a quart of oil. Its great for traps or just pour it on a tree that is suitable for a pig rub. I also soak corn in diesel the pigs like it and the deer wont touch it.

11. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    catch a sow and give it a shot to bring her in put her in a trap or pen and hang on. You will get alll the hogs you want. QUICK.

12. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Baiting hogs is really not rocket science. As far as liquid baits go, I think just about anything sweet and sticky from Sorgum Syrup to fish oil will work just fine. Our bait is actually a paste that adhers to tree bark or whatever and continues giving it's scent trail until a hog comes and licks or chews it off and that they will do.

13. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    go to www.texasboars.com.

everything you ever wanted to know about hog hunting, and trapping.