Any hitting up the Salt River soon

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by anakin, Apr 8, 2007.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Anyone planning on hitting up the Salt or Rosevelt anytime soon? I wont be able to make it out for about 2 months.

Hopefully i'll be able to Make it out to Patagonia for a nite before then.

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Definitely going to make in out there one of the next few weekends. This weekend's Pleasant trip was very, very tiring and I'm missing the Upper Salt more than ever. Hope this year has some more flatties in store!

3. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    good luck on the trip cant wait to see some pics. I really hope the river continues to produce like it did last year.

4. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It won't be long probably start hitting it next month. Right now we have been concentrating on crappie but we are getting ready for the spring run. Good luck to all.

5. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    first week of may is the ticket to start

dont forget to try cutbait bluegill.... smaller flatheads (under 20 lbs) seem to take rather heartly

6. CaTfIsHKyLe

CaTfIsHKyLe New Member

State:
    AZ
    Shawn you got to call me..... When need to plan an early trip....thanks Bro.
    Kyle

p.s. get in touch with me on the Zone when you can. aka Swimbaitfisherman.

7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    spend last night out at Eucalyptus...tons of fish jumping all around. Not much on the bite, though. Got there lastnight around 7pm and passed a guy who was on his way out carrying about a 30-35 lb'er that was still squirming quite a bit.

Got pretty cold, maybe in the low 40s and then started raining early this morning before we left.

Mark

8. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It seems like its colder than it should be at night. I will be out there next weekend Saturday night at Eucalptus as well. We will see what how good the river will be to us this year.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good luck everyone I hope the river is good to you too Antonio. Man I really enjoyed hearing the stories and seeing the photos from your trips last year...

10. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Haha thanks, last year was a mad house. I wish I could get that going again with the fish-off now and everything. Every trip produced at least two fish over 40 lbs, but I'm sure that will turn out to the be exceptional year, not the normal. I'm just as happy catching as I am getting out there though, as long as I'm not freezing my butt off. I'm gonna try and start fishing Bartlett a bit more this year as well, maybe canoeing me and my gear to a nice little island or bank sometime.

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thinking about Roosevelt this Friday. Maybe overnight but I may just go for the day. With the level at -32, any suggestions for best bets via boat?

Thanks.

12. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Decent channel cat bite around Schoolhouse. Incredible crappie results under lights. Still a bit chilly in the mornings.

Salt River access was limited. Was able to get about a mile up river. The channel shallowed to about 1 foot. One intrepid fellow raised his motor, got out, and proceeded to drag his rig up river claiming the it "gets deeper" past here. Any dedicated "draggers" out there want substantiate this claim? Here's one for you hydrologists - Is it possble for the water level at Roosevelt to lower overnight just enough say 3 inches or so to where you'd be stuck up river next morning?

13. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Haha, it depends how far upriver you are talking about. Closer to the Diversion Dam it gets down to a good 20 feet or more, but thats far ahead of where boats can go from the main lake. Don't know much about heading up river with a boat though.

I was down there all last night, at Eucalyptus wash just downriver from the diversion dam. I don't think my results deserve another thread though. Alot of people down there, music all night and such. Got there too late on Saturday, barely got ourselves a fishing spot through a tangled bank, and could only manage to catch one sunfish for bait. He was swallowed around 10 p.m. by a monster, he had to be to have gulped the 7" gill that he was. The hook pulled out 15 seconds into the fight, it felt like he may have been a big one, too bad. Also was using cut carp, worms, and hot dogs. Ended up with 3 large carp and 5 small channels. Nice night though, weather is getting better and better out there. Going to have to start arriving earlier, it looks like the area is very popular for party campers.

14. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Zonaman,

There are some sections in the Salt River where the sections "level off" and are a little deeper. As you get closer to the diversion dam, you get into areas where there are "rapids" and boats can't go any farther. Above these rapids are where Tony is talking about and the river is actually deeper than it is downstream.

The farthest that I have been able to get in a boat was up to Eucalyptus near the sharp bend in the river. This was back in 2005 though when the lake rose so much and the river was running pretty strong.

Tony,

Sorry to hear about losing the big fish...that would have been nice to post in the Fishoff.

Ryan

15. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was curious about the change in water levels over 24 hours at Roosy so I asked an SRP hydrologist. For what it's worth, here's the relpy:

This is an interesting question and one that is a little difficult to answer. Roosevelt is a large reservoir and would not increase much in depth over the course of 24 hours without a significant inflow from the Upper Salt River and/or Tonto Creek. With that said, we do generate hydroelectric power at the dams during the warmer months. This involves moving water from an upstream lake through a turbine causing the downstream (DS) lake to rise and the upstream (US) lake to drop in elevation. However, the quantity of water for power production is in excess of Valley water demand and we want to keep it in storage. The lower lakes are not large enough to continually store this water. So during periods when Valley power demand is lower, the water is pumped back from a DS lake to an US lake. So in general, Roosevelt is large and can see some elevational change (usually less than a few inches) due to power production. The lower Salt lakes can rise and fall a few feet when generating power.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Mark

Mark Hubble
    Hydrologist
    Water Resource Operations
    Salt River Project

16. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    ill be up this weekend..... 18 foot aluminum G3 flatbottom

probably going to try the muddy banks areas

17. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Where's that? I've seen a lot places on Roosey that could be described as muddy!

18. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    its the west side of meddler point on the map

19. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    OK, I see the spot on my Fish-N-Map. I think that's where I was last week when the water got so shallow. I splits off into two channels. Just like on the map.

Question: On that map, the access to the Salt shows way up on the sorth shore. If you try it, even when the water's been higher, you're blocked by shallows & brush. Seems like the actual point of access is at the midpoint of the lake just east of Schollhouse. Does that river channel change from year to year or do I need a new map?

20. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Typos up above...

Should read: It splits off into two channels. Just like on the map.

Question: On that map, the access to the Salt shows way up on the north shore.

I've gone in "new directions" before but I've never been "sorth" of anywhere!