Any hints on stinger hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ninrugger, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    hey fellow catfisherman, i'm new to this site and find it to be a huge wealth of knowledge. i'm semi new to catfishing (started last fall) and was having problems when baiting my hook. i'd use live bluegills or suckers and where ever i'd put the hook, front or back, the cats would bite the opposite end. after getting sick of this i've decided to make my own quickset rigs with trailer hooks. they seem to work great....but i'm having one big problem.....i'm having a hard time keeping the treble hook in the bait. everytime i pull up and recast, it has managed to come out of the bait. do you guys have any suggestions on how to stop it from falling out?? thanks in advance....

nin

2. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hi there!

It's interesting -- you're about the only other person I've run across on this board that's mentioned placing "stinger hooks" on a regular hook for baitholding and/or extra hooking potential.

I do the same thing! If I'm not fishing with circle hooks, I use a pre-snelled Eagle Claw 2/0 or 3/0 baitholder with a #2 or #4 Lazer-Sharp (red) treble hanging off the shank of it. I don't generally have any trouble with it coming off the bait, OR THE FISH (lol).

I also use cut or whole bluegill/bream for bait (depending on size of baitfish, hook, target catfish). The ONLY CAVEATS I would give you regards how you "thread-on" the "stinger" treble hook onto the main baitholder hook, and then how you "sting" your bait:

(1) Make sure you put on your "stinger hook" BEFORE you bait the rig.

(2) Make sure that when your "stinger" hook is on the main hook that A SINGLE TINE ONLY "faces up" -- that is, the "center tine" on the treble points up and toward the shank of your main hook.

What this does for you is to allow you to hook on your baitfish, and on the "backside" of your main hook the central tine of the "riding" treble then gets pressed/hooked-into the back of the bait -- leaving two treble points facing out (shallowly) on the "backside" of the bait, and the main hooks point faces out from the other side.

This configuration both retains the bait, and doesn't generally fall off, but presents the biting catfish with THREE HOOKING POINTS -- and a peculiar mechanical action whereby if a biting catfish begins to get hooked by one point, the others "spread out" and hook him again. It is very common for me to get ALL THREE POINTS hooked in the mouth of the catfish -- he ain't getting off my line unless he breaks it and takes the whole rig with 'em!!.

Anyway -- that's what I do, and if I'm not having success with circles, that is the diabolical little gizmo I use (to significant success).

Have fun,

Kevin (Skrod)

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    welcome to the BOC

4. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    welcome to BOC can't say never used stinger hook before

5. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi i olny use circle hooks but this sounds good might try it thanks TIMBO:big_smile:

6. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    thanks for the reply, the stinger hook set up i'm using is based off of live bait rigs for musky with quite a few modifications on it. i make them like this....barrel swivel, two feet of nylon coated wire, a bead, two large floats (to keep large bait fish from hunkering down on the bottom and to keep them moving (optional)), bead, loop of wire with two beads and an Owner circle hook (size varies depending on size of bait)(the loop is so it's adjustable), and at the end i have an owner treble hook (again size varies). i've tried shrink tubing a forth hook onto the treble to see if that would help keep it in place with no such luck. last night i had a little luck with sticking the treble hook all they way through the back of the bait fish so it comes out the other side, that seemed to be a little better as far as keeping the hook in. the fishing last night was a little slow, still managed 4-5 flat heads between the two of us, the smallest was around 5 pounds the largest was around 13. keep the ideas coming, i'm always looking for something new to try or upgrading something. thanks :)

nin

7. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Nin, welcome to the B.O.C. enjoy your stay here. I hope to see you at the National Gathering in Sept.

9. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC. A stinger rig is an interesting idea. I just have never seen the need for one while using all the standard rigs used for catfishing, but it is worth looking into. I will have to do a little experimenting and see what I come up with. I will look closer at your rig and see how it works. Thanks for the tip.

10. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    yeah, the stinger rig is kind of an odd way to fish for cats....but the flats around here like to grab half the bait and run a mile down river with it before inhailing it....very rarely do i get one that will inhail the entire bait, even the kitties that are more then capable of doing it...

11. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The "stinger" on a regular baitholder rig was the thing I was using BEFORE I got turned onto circle hooks. In rivers and large streams where there is significant current I find the circles to be a bit more productive, however, in lakes, ponds, and still waters I very often find that my old nasty "stinger" rig continues to work better.

The odd thing about the "stinger" rig is that I will sometimes hook fish as "drive-by's" -- that is, some catfish is cruising just above the bottom and will "drive across" one of the hook points and get himself hooked by the tail or something (that's a weird feeling fight, reeling a catfish in "backwards" ! LOL).

Anyway, just an idea, and it works very well in some circumstances (especially in still waters, or when cats are acting "nibbly" rather than biting aggressively).

Kevin (Skrod)

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!!!!!!!

You are making it a lot harder than you have to. Stop using the treble hooks. A catfish is not a fish you need to use a treble hook on. Your short bites are from small fish that are not able to take the entire bait and are pecking at it, or thye could be perch or bluegill hitting the bait.

To counter this use smaller bait and smaller hooks, and circle hooks will help to solve your problem. Make sure though that the tip is well exposed through the bait. The circles work by allowing the tip to catch the edge of the lip on exit. YOU DO NOT BURY THE HOOK IN THE BAIT WITH CIRCLES!!

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Matt.

14. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    thanks for the welcomes, much appreciated. this seems to be a much more hospitable site then some of the fishing forum ones i've been too....not mentioning names...hahaha. the stinger hook and all the extra BS does seem like a bit over done but my hooking percentage has gone through the roof with that stinger. on this rig i've gotten the kitties with both the circle and the stinger. on small live bait and cut bait i still go with just the single circle hook. besides that, when i'm not fishing or just sitting waiting for a bell to ring it gives me something to do other then thinking about fishing....making these rigs...hahaha