Any Help Smith Mountain Lake State Park Area.

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by vacatfish, Aug 15, 2005.

1. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Can anyone give me any information as to how well the fishing is around that area.

Thank you to any who gives some input.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I have been fishing the lake this summer and have done pretty good on Shad and even Crawfish. I fish next to the boat ramp sometimes. The only problem there is that there are a lot of stumps out there to get snagged on. Try catching shad in a throw net or, for big cats, bring Bream with you. You can catch bream there but I find it easier to get them elsewhere and bring a bucket of them with me and then keep them in a folding basket when I get there to keep them alive. After dark the rocks are full of crawfish that will bite anything dead and hang on long enough to get them in a net. Shine a flashlite in the rocks and you'll see them everywhere! I break the claws off before putting them on the hook. The last time I was there I got several nice cats.

3. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I live right here in bedford. but sounds to me the place calls for a weedless hook.

Sounds like cut bait would do well there also.

Sound like i need to go scooping in the creek behind me and cut up some bait. and stock up on cut bait.

Thanks again for your help and input.

4. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

I was at smith mountain lake for two days and caught a couple of small ones but I was also fishing from shore.

5. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

Vacatfish, my mom grew up on a small farm in bedford

6. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Well brother just about everyone in bedford is family to me my family has owned most the farms ever here.

My family here in bedford is caters oranges ruffs dolleys robertsons overstreets and many many more.

I grew up most of my life on taylors mountain.

My family is very large to large infact. thanks for joining good to have all the certified southern virginia brothers we can get.

7. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Have not fished at the park, but have had good luck on channels just a 10 minute boat ride down river. Good luck!

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Are you talking about downstream towards the dam or up towards the Roanoke River?

9. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Down toward the dam. The islands around Sauders/Parkway Marina have been fairly consistant during the warmer periods. Picked up a 6lb channel on a bucktail last weekend just up river from the state park. :cool:

Bo

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Can anyone tell me about good places to bank fish for channels, stripers, white bass, etc. at the lake? All the places I used to fish are developed now. Anything at the upper end, near Hardy area or Goodview?