Any gunsmith's in the house?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Bobpaul, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've got an old Belgium Browning A-5 that doesn't like to eject shells.

I cleaned the reciever out real good and got alot of packed in crap out of it.

Paulette put it away a couple of years ago and I just found it; Thank you sweety :p

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bob, what type of shell were you firing? Some of those older Brownings won't eject low-powered shell unless you change rings or something in the magazine. I never owned one, didn't care to carry one of them around all day, myself. LOL I'm a pump gunner, myself. I've owned a few autos, but always ended up going back to the pump action.
    It may just need a thorough cleaning, end-to-end.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Tommy, it could be the shells. I've got the rings to change from 2 3/4" to 3" shells. what I was shooting was a low brass 2 3/4 #8 shot.

I didn't get this gun to tote all day long either. Just for a turkey gun. It does have a 30" full choke barrel in 12 ga. One of these days, I'll go turkey hunting with it.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bobpaul take it apart and clean the gas ports out good with a wire small bore brush. It may not be cycling back far enough to get the shell out.
    The gasses that cycle it back could be ex caping thru the barrel instead of pushing the ca rage back far enough.
    Just a thought here.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    They are great guns, Bobpaul. Give it a good cleaning, and it should be good to go.
    How old are your shells? Not too important these days, but I remember back when I was in high school, and they had the old paper shells. We were deer hunting, and the old man on the stand next to me had bought some shells at the country store; the buckshot was bulging almost through the paper, (probably had been damp). As luck would have it, 2 bucks came by between us, but it was his shot. Instead of 'bang', the old double barrel went 'poof, poof', smoke belched out of both barrels, and I could see buck shot kicking up dust between him and the deer, but danged if old Bert didn't kill both of them, a 6 & 8 point, best I remember.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Bubba, I'll give it a good cleaning.

Paper Shells? Dang Tommy, your older than red paint :p

7. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Bobpaul,

What happens when you fire it? Is the hull extracted from the chamber or does it fail to exit the ejection port?

The A-5 has two extractors. Check the lip edges for wear or breaks and check the spring tension for both. Also check the ejector for wear or damage.

Mike

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ok Mike, I'll check that out. Only thing is, I may not know what is worn or not. I can hit the clays, birds, rabitt's and a very few doves, but to tell if a part is worn or not is not something I might know, but I'll look.

As I recall the shells wouldn't eject, so it's hopefully a cleaning problem or the rings need to be in the right position.

Thanks guys!

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey bob also look into the ejector clip on the bolt assy as it could be worn or the spring could be gummed up and not allowing it to expand when it is fired.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ok Jim, I'll check that also.

11. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Bobpaul,

So what's the word on the A-5?

Mike