Any Good Words On Yoyo's

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by BIG BUBBA, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BIG BUBBA

BIG BUBBA New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    I Just Got Some Yoyo's In My Stocking And I Need Some Advise On Using Them. I Am Trying To Expand My Knowlage Of The Differnt Ways To Catfish. Many Thanks For Any Advise.
    By The Way Has Any One Cought Any Good Ones At Clear Creek?

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    they are fun when u are bored.. just put em on ur finger and.... OH diff yoyo's lol :) jk jk never used em b4.. good luck and ill be watching for results and tips.. incase i try one day

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Lol, they certainly are fun.

Wheelmobile07

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I prefer yo-yo's over trot lines, In my opinion, the yo-yo's are much safer than the trot lines. Trot line can catch much larger fish due to the fact the lines can be placed in much deeper water. Yo-yo's can catch alot of good eaters. I have about 3 dozen of yo-yo's which I hope to put out this spring.

5. BIG BUBBA

BIG BUBBA New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    WHAT DO YOU USE AS BAIT? WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO RIG THEM?

I DIDNT FIND ANY THING IN THE LIBRARY ON THEM.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVISE YOU CAN GIVE.

BRYAN McGUIRE

6. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    well the good thing about them is that they are not a rod and reel and the other thing good about them is ,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, uh yea thats it. LOL

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bryan, I have used jut about anything imaginable as bait on the yo-yo's. worms. chitterlings. shrimp. shad. skip jack chunks.and even live minnows. I have caught fish on all of these baits but I think the shad and the cut skips have out fished them all.

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I use 1/0-2/0 hooks and nightcrawlers, grub worms, catalpa worms, crawdads, or whatever I can seine up out of a few ditches.

9. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I haven't used any as of yet but plan to.
    Where can you by them?
    Do they make diffrent types?

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    John, Some stated do not allow the use of yo-yo's. Please check with the Game wardens. If your state allows the use of Yo-yo's then your Local wal-mart should have them I bought all of mine from Wal-Mart.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Ok Top,
    I will ckeck both places.
    Thanks for the infomation.

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    something like 12 for $22.
    I haven't used them yet. I have thought about using them on jugs

13. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Just returned from a cold fishing trip to lake chicot in south arkansas and only got to fish 1 evening because of lake wind advisories. used cold worms for bait and caught 26 eating size cats. in arkansas make sure you have your yo-yo's labled with your name and address or your drivers liscense number to be legal. I also put a small peice of reflective tape that you can but from wal-mart on the back of mine so they will glow in the spotlight after dark. if I can be of any more help, please let me know as yo-yo's are a fun way to fish

14. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
  15. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the info also, i got a academy sports gift card for Christmas and was looking at yo yo's the other day. I dont have much time to fish or do anything with the twins, are yo yo's a good alternative until they are older and i can take them fishing. It seems like it, you just bait them and come back later and get them?

16. BIG BUBBA

BIG BUBBA New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    I AM NOT SURE THAT YO YO'S WOULD BE GOOD FOR KIDS.
    IF YOU TAKE THEM TO A POND OR PARK W A LAKE OR BODY OF WATER. YOU CAN GET THEM USED TO FISHING.ACADEMY HAS COMBOS FOR KIDS. GET THEM OUT THERE. I TAKE MY KIDS AND THERE 6 & 8. THE ONLY WAY TO HELP THEM DEVELOP A LOVE FOR THE OUT DOORS IS TO EXPOSE THEM TO IT.GET A COUPLE OF THOSE PACK PACK COMBOS. PUT A COUPLE OF TOYS IN THERE FOR EACH AND REMEMBER DRINKS SNACKS AND A CHANGE OF CLOTHES.
    THE FIRST FEW TIMES YOU WONT GET MUCH FISHING DONE BUT IT IS SOME THING THAT WHEN THEY ARE OUR AGE THEY WILL TELL THERE KIDS ABOUT.
    HAVE A PICKNIC AND FISH! THEY WILL TELL THERE KIDS THAT THEY REMEMBER THERE DAD TAKING THEM OUT TO DO THAT. MY EX WIFES MEMA
    TOLD ME ONCE THAT THE ONE MOMORY SHE HAD OF HER DAD WAS WHEN HE DID THIS WITH HER. THEY SAT UNDER A BIG TREE ALL DAY LONG.
    SHE WAS 74 WHEN SHE TOLD THAT STORY! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

BRYAN McGUIRE

17. prince

prince Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Not in the day time - copy n paste from the 2007 fishing reg's:

Yo-Yo Fishing – Up to 30 yo-yos (or similar mechanical devices) per person may be used as long as they are not left unattended (out of sight or hearing) during daylight hours, and no more than one is hung from a line, wire, limb or support. Yo-yos must be labeled with the owner’s name and address or vehicle license number, or current vehicle license number of the person using such equipment.

(last year (2006 reg's) read a little different - I think it made it clear that from sunset to sunrise you can leave them unattended. But you can see the 2007 reg's do not get as specific about the night time period (e.g. still can leave at night but time not spelled out in reg's)

BTW: The 2007 regs are online - as a pdf file - you can download to your computer or you can use them online (it's easy to use 'find' in a pdf file - just be sure to use the latest secure version of Adobe pdf reader (version 8) - older versions of adobe pdf had security problem.

http://www.agfc.com/pdfs/guidebooks/2007fishregs.pdf

Hope this helps.

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    They can be great, but I had a problem with people running them. Also be sure to set them correctly - near or under the surface of the water so if a fish is hooked it will not be pulled out of the water. I like to use cut bait, nightcrawlers and leeches.

19. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you set them on Flood control lakes or any other rising waters set high. They are not designed to be in the water as most will rust. Not to mention ,I see people get them covered by rising water and leave without them. We find a bunch each year when the water falls. A big fish will only be pulled to the surface. You can adjust the spring tension so they won't hoist small fish up. You can do this by unwinding line without pulling on spring or tighten in reverse. The lake here is 20' high and the only ones catching are the yoyo fishermen. They are great for those just wanting a mess of fish. I used them years ago ,still have a bunch. My yoyos rarely get used as I catch plenty these days on a pole. I net fish in winter just for fun.
    Here most use minnows ,they catch Crappie, Catfish , and Bass. They set them along the brush when the lake is high. The bait does'nt need to be set deep (surface to 2' ) even in deep water(10 to 20 '). Those fish are looking for food washed in with the flood water.:lol:

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know several. Later Andy