Any good shore fishing spots on the Grand River?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by KewlBird, Aug 3, 2006.

1. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    I know of one small spot on the Wyoming/Jenison side of the grand river that has a deep hole, but it isn't very large. The best I've done is a 3lb flathead on nightcrawlers, and about 1.5lb channel on chicken livers. I'd like to get something that is picture worthy. Anyone know of a good deep spot for shore fishing on the Grand River between Lowell and Wyoming? I don't mind driving a few extra miles for a good spot. Thanks.

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    in new to the area so if i word a place wrong i apolagise, but we have caught a few cats under the little bridge coming from alto to lowwel(not many but bridge is good for when it is rain) also ive been planning a trip to downtown grand rapids right near the water bridge, ive hered storys of some big ones there, and the guys up at gander moutian said that 10lb channels werent rare there, niether were 15lb flatties, ive nevver been there so ive never seen one but im gonna try and get back to you

Marshall

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Marshall & Sulejman-
    First, welcome to the GR area and welcome to the BOC.
    Second, you guys are going to need to do some exploring.
    You can get a good start at the bait shops and sporting goods stores.
    Get your hands on a county map book and look for public land & access points along the rivers.
    Put in some windshield time checking out the spots you see on the maps as potential fishing sites.
    There are some good spots to bank fish the Grand near GR, Ada, Lowell, Saranac, and Ionia- as well as Grandville & down from there.
    The harder you are willing to work at hiking & exploring, the better the spots you will find.
    I mainly boat fish, so I haven't kept up on the shore spots and I have no hot insider information for you. The good news is that if you try hard enough, you will surely find a few good spots, and the fish will be there- the Grand is a great resource!
    Good luck!

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Welcome guys.

Lowell is less than 1:15 from the maple where we're gonna be on the 19th. Drive UP!!!! Lets fish together and we can go over the details of places by you at that time...

Sal

5. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Thanks, it all depends if I have to work that weekend:angry: , but hopefully I have it off.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

If you can make it, let me know and you can follow me out there.
    Nice carp BTW, bet that was fun.

Tony

7. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've been hunting for a good shore spot everywhere from GR, around 6th street, all the way to Lyons! I've been using mainly live bait, and some cut bait, and also a line with a stink bait on it for maybe a passing channel, and only landed one 5lb flat. It's been a horribly slow summer for me. I really beleive that if you dont have a boat, you will be extremely challenged to find a good hole, unless you know someone that lives on the river right infront of a deep hole. I go about 1-3 nights a week and fish from usually 9PM-3AM, with bluegills my kids catch. Let's face it you cant blame people for not wanting their hard found hotspots to become overfished by making them public knowledge, and you gotta respect that. It's just frustrating spending 3 summers trying to find a good shore spot that doesn't have lines with sinkers/bobbers hanging from every limb, or on private property around here.

I've fished some totally pointless areas with ZERO cover/deep holes, and like you'd expect it was a waste of time, but it was easy to get to. Almost fell asleep with the slowness. I've heard that ADA around the thornapple was good from shore. What a joke, this place is horrible at least the stretch is that is slightly traversable from the launch to the M-21 bridge. You cant go any closer to the thornapple by shore unless you are a navy seal or something, LOL. I could see tons and tons of carp swimming in that area, and to me that means there probably wont be much else there since that many carp usually run off everything else.

I don't plan another trip down to GR in the hot summertime anytime soon either. The night we spent down there was infested with TONS (no exageration) of dead white mayflies, and every 30 seconds some un-identifiable green muck piles with what appeared to be a human femur bone or feces floats downstream and gets stuck on your line. You cant be out in one spot for more than 30 minutes without your line being pulled downstream with a clump of mosquito larva filled green goo all over your bait/sinker/line etc, and I hate to say it but it really stank down there, and it hadn't rained for quite some time.

I'm sure no one is even reading this anymore and thats cool, it's my first post on the BOC, and so far I've met nothing but very cool, helpful people like Sal_jr and bwanatony. It will probably be some time until I can actually go out with you guys, I have such a horrible schedule and can only go when everything falls right into place.

If anyone wants to trade spot info from the GR ---> Lyons area, go ahead and email me at bestbuy_guy@hotmail.com, and we can talk. Yes I'm stuck on shore for probably 2 more years, until I can get my Lowe Jet Boat set-up.

If you see some tall skinny dude, sometimes with another tall dude sitting in a green fold out chair with wood rod holders on some retarted spot on the river cattin, its probably us. LOL.

One fish landed in 30+hrs of fishin'. I don't call that productive, I call that boderline stupidity, although patience in abundance. HAHAHAHA.

8. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Hey Gr_Cat if I find a decent spot I'll let you know. So far nothing too exciting...

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You guys both need to join us on the 19th.
    Even if you can only stay long enough to say hello and have a look at some maps.
    I'm planning to head out to the spot by 2 or 3 pm that day, and stay until at least midnight. I may even bring my smoker and do up a pork shoulder.
    Come on over.

10. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Tony, where should we meet you? Did I miss the locale in my ignorance? I'll check my schedule/calandar and hopefully we can meet up with ya to learn your second favorite deep hole from shore, LOL. Seriously I'm just jokin :lol: Thanks for the invite, I can bring gills/shiners/suckerminnows if you ever need em I can catch em all locally in the Flat and in local Long Lake. Peace out.

-Guy

11. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The Maple, hmmm that narrows it down to like a real long stretch of river LOL. I'm in Belding, and I've fished around where the maple dumps into the Grand, but never far upstream, are we meeting all the way in the Ithaca area??? Thanks Sal/Tony.

-Guy

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Let's see good bank spots on the Grand......

1. Johnson Park area and upstream for 2 miles along kent trails. You can pretty much walk up to awesome log jams along the river in Johson Park, and you can ride a bike up kent Trail to get to alot more. You may have to clear a liitle brush to get make a spot to fish but it can be done.
    2. Bridges downtown G.R. Every year guys catch 20 lb class flatheads from Fulton St. and Bridge St. bridges. You may have to refine your gear a little but theres big fish here.
    3. In front of Charlies Crab. Nice 10 foot hole here that as well as cats holds some nice smallmouths and walleyes. I've seen people fishing from shore here and catching fish. My cousin landed a 13lb walleye here this March.
    4. The East Wall downtown G.R. Again, big fish landed here every year, all year long. I caught my 1st channel cat ever off the wall, with my Grandpa in 1985, on a soft shell crab. Never know what you'll catch off the wall. Might be a huge carp, a sheephead, a cat. But it beats nothing.
    5.Riverside Park on the lower Grand near 104th Ave. I have'nt fished this one myself, but my cousin does every year and gets some nice channel cats. If you take 104th Ave North off M-45 turn right at the gas station. This leads you to Riverside park, or if you keep going, to a large gravel pit.There are trails along the North side of the gravel pit there that run along the river. I used to ride dirt bikes out there about 10 years ago and always thought about fishing there from shore.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I think of any more I'll add them to this thread.

Dan

13. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    I was at riverside couple of weeks ago, didn't have much luck out there. I was looking at maps about the gravel pit area, I just wasn't sure it was populated with houses. Maybe I'll try it next week....

14. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Probably some houses on the South side of the gravel pit, but not on the North. I believe all that property is owned by the county or maybe the state. There used to be hundreds of people out there every weekend in the Summer riding motorcycles, jet skis, ATV's. Until someone got killed. Then they kind of shut it down by putting up some gates. I still think a guy could get in there along the North side and walk down one of those motorcycle trals.

Dan

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Keep an eye on the "Official August 19 Outing Thread" in Local MI Talk, we'll make sure you don't get left out.

16. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Cool, thanks for the info, and I hope to be able to attend that trip!