ANY GOOD RIVER RIGS

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by catkiller1234, Aug 7, 2008.

1. catkiller1234

catkiller1234 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    IM HAVEN A TROUBLE FISHING IN THE NORTH EAST CAPE FEAR RIVER BECAUSE I CANT SEAM TO KEEP MY LINES FROM GETTING SNAG DOSE ANYBODY KNOW ANY GOOD RIGS

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Only thing I can tell ya to do is use a carolina rig and then don't cast off to the side of the boat very far b/c the current will sweep your rig and almost certainly get hung up. However, if you're getting snagged you're fishing the right places. It just happens like that and if you're not getting snagged on the bottom from time to time you're not catfishing:wink:

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Personally I like fishing river snags. The cats relate directly to the current changes around the snags.
    When fishing in heavy snags.
    Throw your rigs directly where you want them fished. Letting them drift in current will almost always guarantee getting hung.
    Move the lead closer to the hook by using shorter or no leader. No swivel with a bead above the hook in heavy cover.
    Dont pull line with rod when snagged. Sometimes snags will loosen up by giving them slack and let current do its thing. If that doenst work, I pull line directly by hand-alot of time they come free.

4. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also, in heavy current try to use a heavy sinker so the rig doesn't get thrown around in the current. I personally use about a 6 to 8 oz slip sinker on a Carolina Rig with a short leader. I may loose a rig or two in a whole night of fishing, but at least that way I always have sharp hooks!:smile2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All sounds like good info. A carolina or 3-way rig are your best options. If you are anchored in you are going to need a heavy sinker to fish thick structure

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Another option is to fish a 3 way rig with your sinker drop being much lighter mono line. Then you can usually break that off first and get most of your rig back and even the fish too, leaving the sinker in the snag.

If your getting snagged you are fishing the right spots.

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I use a carolina rig with a small bobber slid on just above the hook and just after the egg weight. The float keeps the bait and hook just off bottom. I also use circle hooks because the tip is slightly bent in and they don't grab things as easily as they slide over them..7/0 to 13/0 depending on what I expect to find...