Any good recipes?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what type of catfish does everybody prefer and why?
    big catfish and crawdad fan here

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hi Andrew and welcome to the BOC!

If you truly want some great recipes then take some time to visit the BOC Diner here. You will find all kinds of recipes provided by BOC members and staff.

Enjoy yourself!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've always breaded & fried my fish since I learned to cook. Got tired of mom just tossing my trout in a pan with a little butter. so I learned to fillet & started cooking it myself, cats, trout, crappie its all fried or bbq'd.

4. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yes I love to cook salmon on a grill

5. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Andrew,
    Hello there, I have heard from many people that Flathead's have the best taste due to the meat being completely white. I have also been told that Blue's come in second on the taste scale, followed by the Channel. I have been told that the reason for this is primarily the different diets of each specie of fish, where the Flathead will almost always prey on live bait, the blues will consume mostly live or cut bait, and the Channel as we all know, will eat virtually anything that it can get into it's mouth. I personally cannot attest to these claims, for I have never been so fortunate to catch either a Blue or a Flathead in my short fishing career. I can tell you this though, I started cooking Channel Cats last summer and I have found in my own humble opinion that if you clean your fish very well to include the mud line and all portions of the fillet's which have stripes on them, you will have yourself some mighty fine tablefare regardless of how you decide to cook them.
    I started off pan frying my fish in the beginning but have since switched to the deep fryer. I personally feel that the deep fryer cooks the fish much more evenly and allows for the batter to stay evenly coated around the fillet's. As far as Fish Batter's go, I don't know if I'm allowed to mention one vs the other on this website, but I will tell you that I personally use all purpose seasoning for fish and wild game from "Totally Wild" and it seems to make up a good mess of fish.
    I also wrap a fillet into a piece of aluminum foil and then add Butter, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and various spices to taste and then throw the aluminum package onto the old grill and it turns out very edible as well.
    I hope some of this helps you out Andrew and best of luck with this year's season!

Garrett

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    It seems we have similar methods. now days I do like to filet them and cut the fillets into nuggets. I also prefer the deepfryer for the same reasons you mentioned. when I was growing up and my dad would make the best catfish I ever tasted,he would cut the head off, gut it,bread it and throw the whole dang thing in a frying pan. the only disadvantage is picking bones out of your mouth.

my salmon I like to use the foil method you mentioned ("foil boat" we call them) throw a bunch of butter in there and some fresh cut lemons, some beer-soaked hickory chips on the coals and let it smoke for about an hour or so. Im making myself hungry lol

as for my trout I like the old fashion method of just gutting it and throwin it in a pan

Im sure if we are not allowed to compare brands a mod will let us know.
    I prefer andys red seasoning my self.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    The only type of fish I really cook is catfish, Usually flathead, you want to cut out all of the red meat in the fillets, or use white belly meat. then you bread it and then fry it up. I like to use Andy's red breading.

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    any crawdaddy fans here? I think they go great with fried catfish

9. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

State:
    Owensville, MO.
    Hey Andrew, I'm a crawdad fan too. I'll eat them every chance I get. Mmmmmmm. Good!

10. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Do you guys have any recipes for crawdads? i'm a big fan of crabs and other shellfish, but I never knew how to cook crawdads. When I'm camping out in the Current River with the little ones, we'd always catch anywhere from 10-30 of them and I'd love to find a recipe for cooking them thats simple and tasty. Usually i'd just release them or use the tails for bait (best trout bait out there).. just put a peeled off crawdad tail on a hook and throw it in a deep swift pool. I've never gone more than 10 minutes without a bite. An old timer caught a 5 lb trout using this method on the Current River right below Montauk State Park. This was before they turned it into trophy fly and artificial lure only water

Also, I've been trout fishing virtually all of my life and after eating trout 2 times a week for 5-6 months out of the year, you can get sick of the taste. Personally, I can never eat pan fried trout anymore. Does anyone have any simple recipes for trout? I dont have a fryer, so that kind of hinders me.