Any good places to get an Outboard Motor Serviced? --> IN So. Cal.

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by jkim546, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey guys,

was wondering if any of you boat owners knew of some Southern California shops to get an outboard motor serviced.

I recently purchased a boat and motor.
    The motor is a Mercury 2 stroke 7.5hp.

I called a few places and got quoted anywhere from $180-$500.

I'm pretty new to boating so any advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Routine service or maintenance?

3. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I believe it is "annual maintenence".

When i bought it, it fired right up. He said he didnt use it for a while and that i should take it in to a shop and get it serviced and the water pump and stuff changed "just incase".

4. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah you should get the impeller and lubricants redone....I cant help you too much the location I was thinking is too far from you but "bi-annual maintenance" Is what I think its supposed to be but the work involved is pretty easy so if you find a nice clean shop that you feel good about it should be alright with this type of service IMO maybe someone like gilmafam plumbertom could help you out also with a reliable location brother sorry I couldnt be more of help

5. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    thanks man, like i said, any advice is good advice to me right now... thanks for taking the time bro...

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    southern ca is a large area. can you be a little more specific? think i might know a few down from vista down, and one guy that's a whiz that does house calls if doesn't have to drive too far.
    gary

7. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    i am in Brea, CA which is pretty much on the border of Orange County, LA County and the Inland Empire. There are tons of shops in this area, but im trying not to get ripped off and/or get a crappy job done.

Thanks for your help.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    too far north for who i've experience with. good luck to you.
    gary

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd spend a few bucks on a good maintenance manual and do it myself.:wink:

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    By the manual and do the maintenance your self.... lower unit oil ... and if the pet cock is pissing, then the pump is pumping...... changing the impeller is easy if you follow directions... might be better to have it done and be done with it.....just mix your oil good, and run the motor dry when done if not using it again real soon... bad for the carb...

Im west of you and use several places here as needed, but do my own maint. on the two stroke...

bayrunner Ray

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, hope you are doing well. Very soon I will buy a 15or 17 foot Crestliner with 90 hy two stroke engine. As soon as I get it I wanted to ask you some questions about maintanance. on trailer, boat and engine. It is going to be a fixer uper though. The engine is in goon shape starts right up every time. I have al these ideas on making it a comfortable fishing machine. It has a 5ft beam with a deep V haul. it has a round bait tank in the middle with two gas tanks. It will need a new floor board, I wanted to use plywood.

Jaime

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Jaime!!!! now you have a hole in the water to toss money into:smile2: Love to see pictures of your new boat brother:wink: Congrats on the boat